Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

on a 1361 WR zone valve, does the valve always rotate in the

on a 1361 WR zone valve, does the valve always rotate in the same direction when opening and closing.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Yes the motor only turns in 1 direction. As it makes a 90 rotation it makes and breaks sets of contacts stopping it's rotation

Customer:

I am new to the boiler heating systems and have read up on them. At my sisters new house, she has 4 zones. Two of the zones, were not heating the areas even though the thermostat was set above the actual temp. Turns out that the system's water was shut off during the summer and turned back on yesterday when a tech came out. Could there be any airlock preventing the circulation of just two zones?

Rick :

Yes it's possible water circulation is being stopped by air in a zone. If the zone valves are open and the circulator is running water should circulate through that zone. When the zone valves open they also turn on the burner if the boiler water isn't hot

Customer:

There are bleeder valves everywhere on this system. Should I bleed everything? Won't I empty the boiler too quickly casuing more air?

Rick :

Typically hot water baseboard systems are purge of air through a purge station not "bleeders". But if the system has old cast iron baseboard or radiators then you bleed each radiator or section of cast iron base through a bleeder on the unit. You compensate for the pressure drop by bumping up the pressure. It's best to have a secnd person monitor the pressure while bleeding the rads

Rick :

If you have copper baseboard the only really effective way to bleed is from a purge station near the boiler

Rick :

because copper base is typically tied together in a continuous loop in each zone

Rick :

I can give you purge instructions if you like

Customer:

By a purge station are you referring to a water bib, because that is what I meant by a bleeder. Also, her floors get very warm, is it possibly that the person who installed this, ran a radiant floor system on the same loop? And just to be clear, are you saying that when a WR valve closes, it rotates in the same direction as it did when it opened?

Rick :

Yes the valve rotates in the same direction as when it opens. A purge station is typically a hose bibb (boiler drain) and a shut off. You would close the shut off to force the water through the system then out the drain

Rick :

do you want purge instructions

Rick :

I have no way of knowing if your system includes radiant. Sounds like it might

Customer:

Purge instructions would be great, thank you

Rick :

Purging a radiant system is essentially the same but can be more confusing if mixing valves are used

Rick :

A purge station is typically a shut off with a hose fitting above it. There can be 1 piece purge stations where both the shut off and hose fitting are combined in one piece. Or it can be a separate valve(shutoff) with a hose type "faucet" (we call it a boiler drain) above it. They are usually at the boiler on the pipe above the circulator pump. You need to determine which one goes to your problem area. I have seen purge stations in old systems some distance from the boiler on the heating line (pipe). Be sure to turn the power off to the boiler while you are purging.

You need to shut the valve, attach a hose to the hose fitting then open the hose "faucet". Some all-in-one fittings close the valve and open the hose at the same time so be sure your hose is attached first if you have one of these fittings. If you have zone valves with multiple purge stations all the zone valves should be opened manually. The common theme here is that you want to push the water through the loop and have it come out the drain. If you don’t stop the flow below the drain no air will be purged. If you have zone valves and only 1 purge station then you need to open the zone valves one at a time and fully purge a zone before opening the next valve and closing the valve you just purged. You also need to jack up the pressure while you are doing this but you need to keep the pressure under 30 psi.

This is done by increasing the pressure at the feed (pressure reducing) valve. Some types have a lever that you flip up from a "horizontal" position to straight up. This is the easiest type to use. Some require that you tighten the screw at the top of the valve. Some have a lever that moves from side to side. You should be warned that if this valve hasn't been touched in a while disturbing it in this manner can cause it to fail in which case it will need to be replaced. This device is located on the water supply line to the boiler.

You need to let the water run until you hear no more bubbles coming out of the hose for several minutes. (*NOTE: if the weather has been very cold and you get no flow out the hose drain then chances are that you have a frozen pipe). You then shut the hose off at the same time you return the feed valve back to it's original position. Then open the shutoff. Be sure the pressure on the boiler is between 10 & 15 psi when you are done and before you turn the power back on. The boiler you have has no bearing on this process. It is the same what ever type you have. Having said all that this is not something I would recommend that you try yourself unless you feel very confident about doing it. You may have to call a plumber anyway if the feed valve fails.

Rick :

one type of purge station

Rick :

another type

Customer:

Thank you very much for your help

Rick :

You're welcome!

Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience: 40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
Expert:  Rick replied 1 year ago.

Thanks for using Just Answer! Please keep us in mind should you have questions in the future that could use some expert answers. You can request me personally for Plumbing, Heating or general Home Improvement/Building problems should the need arise. Just bookmark this URL for future reference
http://www.justanswer.com/home-improvement/expert-rickthecontractor/