Rick
Rick, HVAC Supervisor
Experience:  40+ yrs. experience as a licensed oil & gas technician.
94766

Hi I am ready to sign a sales agreement to purchase a house,

Hi I am ready to sign a sales agreement to purchase a house, and need to get some info on the furnace and water heater. the Oil fired furnace is a Beckett AFG The model #970424 serial 78818...I believe the system to be at least 25 years or older, but can not get a straight answer....what is the efficiency rating on the burner....Also there is a Bock Turbo-Storr model # XXXXX Serial # XXXXX of tank is all rusted out..could you give me an approximate date on these models and efficiencies?

Rick :

Welcome, my name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help you with your issue.

Rick :

Beckett is an oil burner brand not a furnace brand. Dating the burenr won't tell you anything about the furnace

Rick :

It also sounds like you have a Bock oil fired water heater is that correct?

Rick :

Your water heater is ~10 years old

Rick :

Probably near the end of the expected life of the tank

Customer:

Hi Rick, that is why I need your help.....Ok Beckett is and oil burner...and yes Bock is the water heater....

Customer:

that is what I figured, it is really rusted out...there was water damage during the past years due to the home not being occupied and bought at auction, and then rehabbed.....what about the burner....would that be that old as well and what is the efficiency on the system...

Rick :

I can't tell you anything about the furnace unless you give me the brand and model of the furnace. The burner info is not useful in this case. There should be a rating tag on the furnace with the brand model and serial number. First off is it a furnace (heat air) or a boiler (heats water)

Rick :

The serial number will help be date the unit

Customer:

the furnace heats water.....

Rick :

Ok so you have a boiler not a furnace. Unless it's very old you're likely to get ~80 to 85% efficiency. But to tell you the actual age of the boiler I need brand, model and serial number

Customer:

Im going to have to look at that Rick....would you mind holding for ten minutes, I have to run next door to the house.

Rick :

OK. Look for a tag that's has the BTU input & output. Most brands will also have the modle and serial number on that tag as well as the brand.

Customer:

ok here it is Wiel-Mclain Gold Oil Model#P-WGO-5 Series 2 that is the information on the boiler...

Rick :

Ok, I can give you a date range but if you want a specific manufacture date I'd need a serial number. Unfortunately Weil usually put their serial numbers on another sticker which often fell off. Your boiler is probably no more than 15 years old (that's about the time Weil introduced the WGO) and I suspect it's probably about the same age as the water heater since they were often replaced at the same time. The WGO is a top shelf boiler and should be good for another 20 years with proper upkeep

Customer:

Is the 85% efficiency rating a good one?

Rick :

Yes

Rick :

It's about as good as you can get with an oil fired unit

Customer:

awesome thank you for all your help......so by what you are saying the hot water heater should be replaced?

Rick :

If it's in an area where nothing is on the floor that might be damaged by a water leak I'd wait for it to leak. If it's in or near finished space then changing it soon would be a good idea

Rick :

Most tanks start out with a small slow leak so if you keep an eye on it you should be able to catch it before the leak turns major (which seldom happens)

Customer:

what is the price range for a high efficiency water heater?

Rick :

I'm not real familiar with Bock models but this looks like a storage tank or maybe an indirect fired heater. Does it have a flue/vent?

Rick :

Do you have natural gas available?

Rick :

A 50ct is an indirect fired heater

Rick :

Typical replacement costs in the Boston area is ~$2000

Rick :

An indirect uses boiler water run through a coil in the tank to heat your water. It's as efficient as you can get short of a natural gas tankless unit

Rick :

Do you have any more questions?

Customer:

Thanks Rick, I appreciate all......and I am done......

Rick :

You're welcome. Good luck with the new place