Thehvacguy
Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Experience:  Certified HVAC Universal Technician,Lic plumbing contractor, 28 yrs exp
63005973

I have a Rheem quiet 80. The 3 amp fuse keeps blowing. I disconnected

Customer Question

I have a Rheem quiet 80. The 3 amp fuse keeps blowing. I disconnected all control wires and jumped r and w. Fuse blows. I then connected my outside ac unit and jump R and Y. The fan and ac unit worked great. I need to know if this is my board or something else?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Thehvacguy replied 10 months ago.

GARY C :

Hi my name isXXXXX will do my best to solve your problem. Reply to this post and i will reply back with help before rating, Thanks Garyc

GARY C :

first thing would be a wire issue, but you ran a new wire right

Customer:

I'm here

GARY C :

thermostat wire

Customer:

No.

GARY C :

so you did not run a new thermostat wire? it states you did

GARY C :

in your question

Customer:

I pulled new new wire because i thought it was a short to ground

Customer:

so yes

GARY C :

so its a new thermostat wire from stat to furnace, or just furnace to ac

GARY C :

or both

Customer:

new from tstat to furnace. I removed wires from furnace to ac

GARY C :

ok

GARY C :

with just the new wire from stat to furnace does it still blow the fuse

Customer:

yes. so i thought maybe it was the tstat itself. remover tstat and conected R and W. It blew

GARY C :

did you look at how long your stat wires are on board connection

GARY C :

meaning are the long and maybe arcing over the terminals

GARY C :

at furnace

Customer:

No not long. I had the fuse problem before i change tstat wires

GARY C :

the stripped portion is what i mean

GARY C :

at screw connections

Customer:

Yes i understand.

GARY C :

ok

GARY C :

so you have no stat hooked up and you tied r to w at the stat location and it blows still (taking the stat out, and a new wire)

Customer:

Yes, I even jump it at the board

GARY C :

take stat wire

GARY C :

ok you tried just at the board jumped it and same issue

Customer:

yes

GARY C :

i would call that a bad board

Customer:

but if i hook up the ac then jump r and y, the ac and fan come on

GARY C :

so it only blows in heat

GARY C :

not in ac

Customer:

well, during the summer it would blow everymonth or so. but when i call for heat it blow right away

GARY C :

its a short on the board (again if you have all stat wires off and jump at the furnace, its a short in the board)

Customer:

Does the board have a ground

GARY C :

the board is grounded through the furnace

GARY C :

if you pull the board you may see a burnt mark on the backside

Customer:

I looked. it is clean

GARY C :

maybe even a critter behind board

GARY C :

ok

Customer:

can it be a bad ground

GARY C :

no

GARY C :

bad board that has a short in the ciruit somewhere

GARY C :

taking wires off proves that

Customer:

So it should be a bad board. :{

GARY C :

sorry but yes

Customer:

so its a bad board. :{

GARY C :

they are about $120

GARY C :

yes

GARY C :

how old is the furnaced

Customer:

bad board then?

GARY C :

yes

GARY C :

how old is the furnace

Customer:

7 years. sorry for the repeat. Had board replaced 6 yrs ago

GARY C :

its out of warranty sorry to say

Customer:

Can u recommend a place to buy?

GARY C :

google the board number and it should come up and you can buy one online

Customer:

OK THX

GARY C :

unless you have a ruud/rheem supplier local

GARY C :

some will sell to you some will not

GARY C :

but online they will

Customer:

I dont think they will sell to me

GARY C :

your welcome

GARY C :

online they will though

Customer:

I just needed a sec opinion. thanks for your help

GARY C :

your welcome good luck

Thehvacguy, LIC HVAC,Plumber
Experience: Certified HVAC Universal Technician,Lic plumbing contractor, 28 yrs exp
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

So I changed the mother board and it still blew the fuse. What now? My family is freezing!

Its in the 24volt circuit, if you have all the thermostat wires, and humidifier (if you have one unhooked and it still blows with a new board, i would be looking at the safety circuits, (hi limit, roll out switches etc.. (check the wires going to the gas valve, these would be the only thing on that circuit to blow fuse without thermostat wires hooked up)
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Why would you tell me to buy a 120$ part when I should have checked the limit switches. I am kind of upset. so now I HAVE TO BUY MORE. WHAT A BUMMER!

sorry, 99% of the time in my experience, if you took the thermostat out of the loop, and the thermostat wires were disconnected and you jumped the board, and it still blew, its the board. Low voltage shorts are a tough find most times, and not being on site with tools, as you can imagine, is even tougher.