Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.

Ac doesnt wot on two heat pumps. Blower works. Will units

Ac doesn't wot on two heat pumps. Blower works. Will units heat this winter?
Hello. My name is XXXXX XXXXX I'll do my best to help. Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment. Let's get started and see what we can do.
Let me get a bit more information.
What are the model numbers on the heat pumps?Are these split system heat pumps? Do they have heat strips installed? We will go from here?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Hi Tim, the two heat pumps are Trane. There is an option on the thermostat for emergency heat
Ok, if there is an option for emer heat, then most likely you do have backup heat strips and they will heat. Now they may not heat as well as the heat pump would and will be more expensive to operate than heat pump would, but should provide some heat.Are you able to look at the indoor air handler and see how many KW heat each has and about how many square feet you are trying to heat and what state you are in, I might give you an idea what to expect
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't access that info at the moment. On the thermostats ther are options for both emergency heat and auxiliary heat. I know there is a freon leak. Would that affect the heating
Yes the freon leak will affect the heating in the same way as it does the cooling.If freon is low enough, pressure switches will keep it from running. If slightly low will only produce limited amount of heat and if between those two areas,will cause system to ice. What you are going to want to do is select EMER Heat as that will use the heat strips for heat.
Now the reason I say it may not heat as well as the heat pump is usually installers put only enough heat to allow the strips to maintain comfort for the short period of time that heat pump has to go into defrost.That is what the Aux heat means. It is auxiliary or backup. EMER just completely bypasses the heat pump and uses the heat strips.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, Tim! I have a place on the outer banks of NC and need to heat the house if needed for just one weekend. House is @ 1500 sq feet. Am I right in thinking that emergency heat plus supplemental space heaters should take of it?
Should with no problem.Just use the EMER