R.G., HVAC Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as HVAC technician, state certified contractor.

I have been recommended to replace my power vent W/H with a

I have been recommended to replace my power vent W/H with a Rheem 43VP50E2 or Rheem PDV-50. This is a residential application, 5BR/5BA home with 6 people residing in the home. We have two sets of washer's too if that makes a difference. What's the difference between the two models? Any other models that I should consider or that would be better? My plumber steered me away from tankless due to complaints from other customers, esp if someone else in the house was using hot water. Apparently the tankless WH can only reliably keep up with one person taking a shower. That is unless you put several tankless WH in the home. I don't think I can afford more than one right now.

R.G. : Hi, I'm R.G., sorry you're having trouble today. I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.
R.G. : Rheem is a good product IMO , I wouldn't recommend any other over it.
R.G. : The 2 you listed have basically the same performance
R.G. : Approx. 40 gph recovery at 90' rise
R.G. : 90 gph first hour
R.G. : 272 average annual cost depending upon gas prices of course
R.G. : The PDV- 50 does have a slightly better warranty 6 year limited parts and 8 year on tank other only has 6 year. This is due to construction of tank.
R.G. : Either would be a good choice, I would get price on both and make decision between the two based on price and warranty.
R.G. : Also it is always good to get prices from 2 or 3 different contractors
R.G. : Lowest price isn't always the best, XXXXX XXXXX all contractors bidding or reputable and bidding the same quality product and warranty
R.G. : Did this answer your question are do you need further information? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your information. Is what I've been told regarding the tankless water heaters accurate?

Tankless water heaters work well but there are a lot of complaints about them because consumers have expectations of instant and endless hot water. Actually it takes a minute for them to warm up so depending upon length of pipe from heater to faucet it will run cold until heater is up to temp. And they are known for inconsistent water temps. They are more efficient but with the extra cost of unit and installation it would take years for the savings to pay for the extra up front costs especially in a replacement situation, not as bad on a new install. All that being said I wouldn't recommend the tankless heater.
Let me know if you need any further information. And please remember to rate answer so I get credited for question. Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks for your input! I rated your answer.