R.G., HVAC Technician
Experience:  20 yrs. experience as HVAC technician, state certified contractor.

intalled a HW wifi programmable thermostat - everything on

intalled a HW wifi programmable thermostat - everything on the display is looking good. American standard gas furnace is not responding? i jump the wires behind thermostat and the furnace fan kicks in.

R.G. : Hi, I'm R.G., sorry you're having trouble today. I will do my best to assist you in resolving your issue.
R.G. : Can you give me the model number of new thermostat please
R.G. : Also is your unit a gas furnace or heat pump?
R.G. : I have had issues with chat not responding lately, can you see my replies?
I switched to Q and A as it seemed you weren't getting my replies in chat. Can you give me model number of new thermostat and is your unit a gas furnace or heat pump? Thanks
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Hi RG. It is a honeywell rth6500wf. Gas furnace

Thanks give me one moment to pull manual
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

just switch back to an old HW mercury thermostat - furnace workign fine.

Okay can you tell me what wires connected to what terminals on new thermostat. Did you have a wire connected to C terminal?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the old thermostat had a red and a white wire - connected the white to c and the red to r and kept the jump wire to rc

The red is 24v supply which should connect to R, the white is call for heat that should connect to W, for this new thermostat to work it has to have a C or 24vcommon from furnace to C at thermostat. Are there any unused wires at thermostat or do you only have the red and white?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

there are 2 unused wires a blue and a black - but they are not connected at the furnace end either (loose at both ends) - it looks like there are places they could go on furnace end

Okay at furnace the red should connect to R, the white should connect to W, use one of the other wires to connect to C at furnace and at thermostat. Turn power to furnace off while doing this. Then make sure red is on R and white is on W at thermostat.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

ok give me a minute. workign on it.

Standing by
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Success!! thank-you!

Great. Glad I could help. Thanks for your patience and please remember to rate answer so I get credit.
Let me know if you need anything further.