Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have an old thermostat and want to change it out for a new

I have an old thermostat and want to change it out for a new honeywell wifi thermostat. The old one has an Rc and Rh jumper together with no C. What do I do?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.

Billy :

Hello my name is Billy

Customer:

Hey Billy

Customer:

What do I do with the Rc Rh wire?

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
How many wires do you have in the cable total and what colors are they?

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

there are 5

yellow

blue

white

green

red

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

Was blue attached to anything?

I assume red was to rc/rh
white to w
yellow to y
green to g

?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes.

Blue is attached to B

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

So you have a heat pump? Maybe a Rheem or Ruud?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I could not tell you.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Ok,

can you give me the make and model of the outdoor ac unit? Or is this in a condo?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

i went and looked at the heater - trane xe 80

ac is kenmore ca7 0600ka1

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

It is play on words (letters) when Trane is involved.

You may have a C wire and dont know it due to different terminology from different companies.

Do you mind removing the doors from the Trane furnace...find thermostat wire...and tell me if the Blue wire is on a B in the furnace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

the blue is not connected to anything along with the yellow

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Ok we are close now.

What wire is attached to Y in thermostat and does that wire attach to terminal strip in furnace or direct to another wire?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

The yellow is attached to the Y at the thermostat but is not attached to anything on the other end

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
This would mean the ac would not be working.

Rc/rh = 24v in from furnace
W = signal for heat out from thermostat
Y= signal for AC out from thermostat
G= signal for fan only out from thermostat.

In the furnace where R,W,G etc is located.....do you see a C, Com, or B terminal?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes the ac is not working

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Ok....

coming from outside unit will ne 2 thermostat wires. Do you see those and where they attach?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes that is correct. There is a green and white wire. No labels on the furnace to tell what the wires are attached to.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,

so at this point you have red, white and green hooked in furnace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Do you have a terminal C, Com or B in the furnace?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I dont know what any of the wires are connected to. There is no labeling for them.

From left to right

Green - AC

white - F

Red - F

Green - F

White - AC

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Can you take a pic of the wiring area in furnace and post here?

Or post at a file share site like mediafire.com?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you!!

The wire in pic to the right of the white wire on W....what letter is under that ?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

wow. I cant believe I didnt see the letters. It is a Y

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Is the wire on Y from the outdoor unit?

Almost done....is the control a white rodgers 50a50?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes that would be coming from the outside a long with the white wire on the left.

Are you talking about the old thermostat?

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Ok I think we got it....

The far left wire with the bluw ring connector.....and the far right wire on Y with blue ring connector go to outdoor unit...correct?

The red on R, green on g and white on W go to thermostat,,,right?

Then you want to take the yellow coiled on thermostat wire and attach to Y WITH the far right wire with ring connector.....Then take unused blue wire coiled on thermostat wire and attach with the far left wire with blue ring connector.

Follow so far?

Then in thermostat the blue goes to C

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Yes two the first two statements. I follow what you are saying about all the wires. Now where do I connect the red wire on the thermostat?

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Red wire goes to R.

You didnt mention what make/model thermostat...but it will be either R or a rc/rh with jumper.

If jumper in place it does not matter which you connect to, the rc or rh...

If any questions at all let me know.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics