BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

We have a Geothermal Geocomfort System. The heat pump light

We have a Geothermal Geocomfort System. The heat pump light is highlighted on our digital thermostat. When I went in the basement, the drain light was a solid red...
We currently have it set to cool with the fan on auto. The temperature is above the target 78 and is reading 80 degress.
Need some advice please.
Thank you.

my name is XXXXX XXXXX I am going to try to get you cooling again.

Can you tell me if the unit drains to a floor drain or a small pump? This will be the condensation pipe that drips water out of unit while running...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

There is a 3/4" or 1" white pvc drain that comes off the unit and drains into the floor drain. Nothing appears to be coming out of the pvc drain pipe.

Thank you.

Do you happen to have a shop vacuum?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes we do. What do you need me to do next?

Please get vacuum and suck all you can from the end of that drain pipe.

I know nothing is dripping but that may be our issue.

Can you do this now?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, let me give it a shot and then I'll let you know in a few minutes what happens.

Standing by

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

When I put the shopvac on it some pink gook came out...looks like smashed grapes or dew worms. It sounded like I sucked into the vaccum a small handful of stuff. It looks like possibly a little water came out but not much coming out yet. I then redid this about 3 times without any new material being sucked out or water dripping out the end of the tube.

The display still says "your heat pump needs service"

Thank you.

Can you blow easily through the pipe now?

And also turn power off to the unit and back on to reset.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I can blow through the pipe easily. I did go the breaker box and shut off the Geo Thermal breakers off and reset things. The thermostat is now indicating on status "Cool Is On." No more yellow light displaying heat pump needs service. Looks like we're making progress.

Do we need to clean the drain pipe a couple times per year going forward?

Thank you for your help.

You are correct.

Once a year it is wise to purge the line.

This prevents scum and thickening of the water...

This should put you back in business....better than a service call to watch a guy vacuum the drain huh?