GOTOGUY62
GOTOGUY62, TECH REP
Experience:  IN THE HVAC FIELD 33 YEARS IN BOTH DEALER SIDE AND WHOLESALE THE GUY EVERYONE CALLS FOR HELP
75116378

Hello, Lennox G61MPV Furnace. Main Blower tries to start

Lennox G61MPV Furnace. Main Blower tries to start when heat is called for, or air is to be recirculated, but does not. What it does do is a repetitive 'dance' - call it an oscillation or a vibration, but the pattern is the same every time. Motor twitches back and forth for a few seconds, spins a bit in one direction then stops. Waits a few seconds, and tries again with same results. I have tried to give it a boost by hand but it doesn't help.

thanks,
Category: HVAC
Expert:  GOTOGUY62 replied 1 year ago.

GOTOGUY62 :

hi, it sounds like you have a variable speed motor, either an X13 or ecm.. is this the case??

Customer:

Hi, not sure - how can I tell? Can run down and see if I can figure it out.

GOTOGUY62 :

looking at unit on lennox it appears to be an ecm motor. variable speed, the symptoms you are describing leads me to believe it is a motor module issue. withn these motors 99% of the time it is the module and not the entire motor. the module is mounted on the lead end of the motor ans all wiring goes to module. usually lennox keeps their specs very specific to their brands meaning you have to get a replacement from them. motors usually run 600+ modules 250+ give or take a little. i will do some more checking but at this hour it maybe tomorrow before i can get an answer. Sorry

Customer:

Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX what I can see the motor has 2 connectors on it, about 18 wires give or take, most go to the control module.

Customer:

I'm not afraid of doing board level repairs if it can save me a couple hundred buks

GOTOGUY62 :

YEP AN ECM VARIABLE SPEED MOTOR, MEANS YOU OWN A VERY NICE PIECE OF EQUIPMENT.

GOTOGUY62 :

HOW OLD? ALOT OF THE MODELS SINCE 2006 OR SO HAVE A 10 YEAR WARRANTY, MOST BRANDS

GOTOGUY62 :

OF COURSE THEY THREW IN A STIPULATION THE SYSTEM HAD TO BE REGISTERED WITHIN 60 DAYS OF INSTALLATION.

Customer:

I think the unit is 5 years old. The ECM says Honeywell on it. That's good news about the warranty if true. The HVAC company that did the furnace, HW tank and HRV has been really poor to deal with. Would I go to them for warranty?

GOTOGUY62 :

TYPICALLY YES, BUT SINCE MOST INSTALLING DEALERS ONLY WARRANTY LABOR FOR THE FIRST YEAR, CONTACT YOU LOCAL LENNOX DISTRIBUTOR AND SEE IF THEY COULD RECCOMEND ANOTHER DEALER TO DO THE WORK. EVEN IF THE PARTS ARE UNDER WARRANTY YOU WOULD STILLED BE BILLED THE LABOR. ALSO ASK THE DISTRIBUTOR ABOUT THE WARRANTY. MOST DISTRIBUTORS WILL NOT WARRANTY A PART TO THE HOMEOWNER, ONLY THRU A LISCENSED CONTRACTOR

Customer:

OK, will find a distributor and check into it.

GOTOGUY62 :

HOPE I WAS HELP TO YOU. THANK YOUFOR THIS OPPROTUNITY

Customer:

Sorry, haven't done this before. What happens next?

GOTOGUY62 :

I'M NEW TO... NOT SURE

Customer:

Are you getting back to me with more info tomorrow?

GOTOGUY62 :

YES SIR I WILL CHECK WITH MY LOCAL DISTRIBUTOR TOMORROW., COULD YOU SEND ME YOUR SERIAL # XXXXX PLEASE.. THANK YOU

Customer:

Fantastic. Model is G61MPV-60C-110-07

Customer:

Serial is 5907D19187

Customer:

We think we registered it. We are in Canada if it makes any difference.

GOTOGUY62 :

THANKS I WILL GET BACK TO YOU TOMORROW. HAVE A GOOD EVENING.

Customer:

Good night and thanks for your help G2G,

GOTOGUY62 :

WHEN WE R COMPLETE YOU ACCEPT MY ANSWERS AND I BELIEVE THAT CLOSES THE SESSION

Customer:

Got it gotoguy, standing by!

Customer:

Regards,

Customer:

Hi G2G, any news? Getting chilly around here - frost last night. Had to light the fireplace to keep us warm.

Customer:

hello hello GtG, can you email me to let me know when you are on line?

GOTOGUY62 :

I AM HERE.. USUALLY AFTER 5 PM CST, SOUTHEAST US.

GOTOGUY62 :

FOUND OUT YOUR UNIT IS OUT OF WARRANTY. SORRY, I SUGGEST CHECKING WITH YOUR LOCAL LENNOX DISTRIBUTOR FOR A MOTOR MODULE, IT WILL BE PRICEY. MY LOCAL DIST SAID THEY WILL NOT SELL TO NON LISCENSED CONTRACTORS. HE WASN'T SURE ABOUT THEIR CANADIAN BRANCHES AND THEIR POLICIES. I WAS HOPING FOR BETTER NEWS FOR YOU. GTG

Customer:

That is bad news all around - was it because the warranty was not 10 years or what? I believe it's a 63W27 board

Customer:

I've found them for a couple hundred on line; hopefully the right one.

Customer:

PS Can't find a local distributor - only dealers.

GOTOGUY62 :

YES AT THAT TIME THERE WAS ONLY A 5 TEAR WARRANTY, AND NOT THE BOARD THE MODULE THAT MOUNTS ON THE END OF THE MOTOR, YOU REMOVE 2 SCREWS ON THE END OF THE MOTOR THE MODULE PULLS STRAIGHT OUT THEN YOU DISCONNECT SOME WIRES BETWEEN THE MODULE AND MOTOR OH YEAH TURN OFF THE POWER FIRST TO UNIT AND DISCONNECT THE 2 PLUGS ON THE SIDE OF MODULE. GO TO LENNOX.COM AND SEE THE STORE LOCATER. THEIR PARTS STORES ARE CALLED "PARTS PLUS".

Customer:

So it's not the board with the status LEDs behind the lower panel?

GOTOGUY62 :

NO SIR, THE MOTOR IN THE BLOWER HOUSING WITH 2 WIRE HARNESSES PLUGED INTO IT. IT IS TECHNICALLY 2 PIECES THOUGH IT LOOKS LIKE 1 MOTOR. GENERALLY WHEN AN ECM MOTOR ROCKS IT IS THE MODULE PART OF THRE MOTOR NOT THE ENTIRE MOTOR.

Customer:

OK, I am on it. Give me a minute to pull it out.

GOTOGUY62 :

Full Size Image

Customer:

Got it, full of caps, a MOV and a coil. Never suspected there was more circuitry off the end of the motor. Do you know how much this thingy is worth ballpark?

GOTOGUY62 :

http://www.hvacpartsshop.com/18m80--variablespeedmotormodule12hp1200rpm120volt60hertz1phase.aspx

GOTOGUY62 :

looks like 372 or so

Customer:

ack.

Customer:

So it's the whole assembly including the motor. How sure are you this will do it g2g?

GOTOGUY62 :

thats what i found on their site so far, should be able to find just module

Customer:

Part number on the module housing is Lennox Part Number 18M8101

Customer:

but it says "motor and module"

GOTOGUY62 :

i'm checking

Customer:

Also says GE ECM motors ECM 2.3 CP03 1HP on the side

GOTOGUY62 :

yeah found it, it is motor and module 580 or so

Customer:

I found the OEM: Regal-Beloit. They call it a "Thinktank 2.3" ECM, and claim "Replaceable control module or motor module". I guess it's just a matter of finding someone to sell me only the part I need. I took it apart, half of it is potted in rubber - difficult to service. Thanks for your help gtg, you may have saved me a a few bucks on a service call I hope! Hope that's the component in question. Got to go, gtg62!

GOTOGUY62, TECH REP
Experience: IN THE HVAC FIELD 33 YEARS IN BOTH DEALER SIDE AND WHOLESALE THE GUY EVERYONE CALLS FOR HELP
Expert:  GOTOGUY62 replied 1 year ago.
hello

were you able to get part?
if so has it rectified the problem? if any more questions please ask i will get back with you asap

thank you for letting me help you.

GTG