Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

I have a carrier 58sta furnace paired with a 24abb3 compressor

I have a carrier 58sta furnace paired with a 24abb3 compressor unit. The blower is working fine but the compressor is not kicking on regularly. I can turn the breaker off and reset everything and the compressor will turn on for a minute or so but kicks right back off. Any suggestions as to what the problem might be?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Tim H. :

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to help answer your question(s). Please provide all the information I ask for since I'm not onsite. At the end of our dialog you will be asked to rate my service, but please wait until then and all your question(s) have been answered satisfactorily. Thanks for your business!

Tim H. :

Good morning

Tim H. :

You there?

Customer:

Yes, I'm here

Tim H. :

When you say compressor kicks off and on, do you mean whole outside unit, or just compressor?

Customer:

The outside unit. It will run for between 30 seconds and five minutes and then just stop.

Tim H. :

That could be either a bad thermostat or it could be going out on a low pressure switch

Customer:

How would I check to determine which is the issue?

Tim H. :

You could jumper past your thermostat and eliminate that as a possibility. You would do that by placing a jumper wire from R to Y at the furnace board.

Tim H. :

Of course, turn power off first

Customer:

Ok, I will try that. After turning off all power.

Customer:

Thank you.

Tim H. :

Then with jumper in place, turn power back on. If it still does this you know it's not the thermostat.

Customer:

I will try that as soon as I get home. Thank you.

Tim H. :

Does the outside unit go off for a while, then come on briefly then go off again?

Customer:

Yes, it was doing that last night.

Tim H. :

That sounds a lot like a low pressure switch kicking it out. But first let's make sure it's not a bad thermostat.

Customer:

Eliminate the easier fix first. Will do.

Tim H. :

So, I'll wait to hear back from you later then?

Customer:

Yes, hopefully before 4. Possibly after 6

Tim H. :

OK, good luck! Thanks you for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service. (Bonuses are always appreciated). Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Customer:

Thanks

Tim H. :

OK, talk to you later

Customer:

It was the low pressure switch. Getting it repaired tomorrow. Thanks for your help. Excellent service.

Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.