Bryan, Handyman
Experience:  HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
10522817

my fridge resets itself to 68 degrees when it is closed even

my fridge resets itself to 68 degrees when it is closed even though I push the button to 37 every time. the freezer maintains its temperature.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.

these will reset to the temp of the refrigerator when you shut the door automatically. so what your seeing is the actual temp not what you set in on. do you know if that's the temp ? are things warm ?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

yes, things are warm in the fridge

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
Okay, open the freezer and look at the back wall, is there frost on it ? please look good. also is the fan running in the freezer ?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

okay, no frost and I hear something running. I am assuming that is the fan.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay inside the fresh food section in the back do you feel any airflow from the freezer ? at the tower assembly number 603 on this diagram.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

sorry for delay, I don't feel any air flow.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
So if the fan is running in the freezer which it sounds like it is from what your saying the damper assembly isn't opening to let the airflow. push the light switch in and feel again. (holding the light switch in )
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can try but unfortunately s troke 4 years ago and only have use of one hand. I will tape the light and feel then. could be a minute.

I don't feel any airflow

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
okay so with the light switch in you don't feel any? So the damper assembly will need to be replaced. you will need help doing this however because of your stroke. (sorry to hear that) anyway click here to order the part. if you wish. its around $168.00, If you have a tech do this your probably looking at around $250.00 unfortunately. if you can get someone to help it will save a lot of money. thanks and very best wishes, Bryan
Bryan, Handyman
Experience: HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I live on my own and would be easier to have someone come to help. would I just call any repair service.

Expert:  Bryan replied 1 year ago.
A repair service is the best thing to do in your circumstance unfortunately. Its still worth repairing though. Most repair company's will be able to do this job. we do a lot of these. takes about an hour to replace.