Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Bryant AC unit compressor and A coil icing up

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will be assisting you today.

Can you tell me:

Is the air filter clean
What was/is temp set for when it froze?
Is it still iced?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Filter is electrostatic and was cleaned in June. Temp set at 77f

Looks like the ice is melting in a hurry.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Ok,

the things that freeze an ac....

dirty filter/plugged...even the prefilter on an electrostatic.
blower not running (inside) as designed
unit turned too low (70-)
low on refrigerant

You can check everything you can as far as air flow and filters. If all those things are in place then it would be refrigerant related.

There is one rare occurence where the indoor shuts off as it should but the outdoor continues to run. You would deduce this if the outdoor unit never shuts off.

If you need anything else please let me know.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have the fan on continuous run. I am not sure the fan was running when the thermostat was calling.

I turned everything off, except the indoor fan for a minute and restarted. When I went outside, the fan was not on. It came on 30 seconds later and everything seems to be working again.

Ideas?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Are you confident that the indoor blower is running reliably?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
And the freezing has since reversed and is clearing?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It was clearing up, but appears the 'cold' line has frost on it.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Did you inspect the pre filter?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes - little dirty, but not a lot. Cleaned it. Had to turn the thermostat to a higher temp to melt the ice.

Note: the unit is 8 years old and has been cleaned annual, but never charged with additional freon. From what you told me, do you think this is 'normal' leaking and a low charge?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry for the delay.

If the blower and filter are in proper condition then the remaining suspect would be the refrigerant level.

How is it running today?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Iced up. Had a HVAC repairman out - took almost 5 lbs of refrigerant.

Suspects a slow leak at the Shrader valves or a solder joint. Will be checking for leaks this weekend.

Thanks for your advice!

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I am very glad you are making progress!

Thank you for thee update.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics