Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.

I have a Goodman dependable ninety two furnace model number

I have a Goodman dependable ninety two furnace model number GMPN080-4. The other day the blower stopped working. My air conditioner turns on, I can hear the R22 flowing through the line to the furnace, but no air circulating. I have checked the 3A fuse on the circuit board, the starting capacitor and the 20A screw in fuse. I am hoping the motor isn't blown and am hoping I might find something else to check before calling out a technician. Any help would be greatly appreciated
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 7 months ago.

Tim H. :

Hi, I'm Tim and I'm an HVAC expert here to assist you with your questions. Please provide all information I request as it makes it more difficult to troubleshoot something when I'm not there onsite. Essentially, you become my eyes and ears. Thanks for the opportunity to help. At the end of our dialog, you will have a chance to rate my service, but please wait until we are finished and you're satisfied you have all the information you need.

Tim H. :

Hello there.

Customer:

Hello. Thanks for your time.

Tim H. :

There are 2 basic possibilities: a bad board or a bad blower motor. I would need you to check voltage to the blower leads to confirm which it is.

Customer:

all right. give me a second and i'll bring my laptop down to the furnace.

Customer:

ok. so i've duct taped the switch for the door so power is currently being applied. do i need to have the thermostat set to get the correct voltage reading?

Tim H. :

Yes, put A/C on and set temp down. The furnace blower leads should attach to the board on a terminal marked "cool" or something similar. Do you see that terminal on the board?

Customer:

i see the lead connected to cool on the terminal board. there isn't any exposed metal to attatch my leads. would unplugging the wire to check the voltage work?

Tim H. :

You could turn power off, disconnect the lead from the board and tape so it doesn't touch anything. Then with power back on, put your meter on "volts AC" and put one lead on the board terminal marked cool (not the wire) and the other on one of the white neutrals. Should read 120 volts with A/C on.

Customer:

securing power and pulling lead

Tim H. :

OK

Customer:

ok. pulled the lead and not getting any ac voltage. the status indicator on the board is red. not sure if that is what is supposed to be on there or if it indicates something wrong. ill attatch a picture

Tim H. :

Does the blower work when you put it on fan "on" at your thermostat:?

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

no. fan doesn't work with on. can't try heat because it is too hot in the house for the thermostat to go that high

Tim H. :

OK, you probably have a bad board. Sometimes when boards go bad you can tilt or turn them over and see burned areas or discoloration on the board. If you do this, turn power off. By the way, did you wait a while when checking voltage? Some boards have a slight delay built in.

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

yep. i just checked voltage again and nothing

Tim H. :

So it's supposed to have run this whole time and still no voltage?

Customer:

that's correct

Tim H. :

Can you see the spot where all the thermostat wires attach to the board?

Customer:

yes. they are labeled r g and w i believe. the voltage on all three terminals is 5vac

Tim H. :

Can you find one labeled "G"?

Customer:

now the status light is blinking 5 times.

Customer:

yes i see the G

Tim H. :

OK, with AC still on check across the G terminal to a good ground or common (you can even use one of the neutral wires)

Tim H. :

Let me know what you have

Customer:

25.7 vac

Tim H. :

OK, that confirms it then, the board is bad

Customer:

ok. would changing that be something I could do. Have some experience with circuit boards from my time in the navy. Or would it be better to call someone in?

Tim H. :

It can be done. The biggest mistakes people make is not getting an exact replacement OEM board and then when changing, not marking the wires.

Customer:

ok. Is there a website that I would be able to order one of the cards, or should I talk to someone at an HVAC supply/service store?

Tim H. :

There are many sites that sell Goodman parts. If you do a Google search, you can find several. I'd check around because prices can vary a lot.

Customer:

ok. Thank you very much for your help Tim. I appreciate it!

Tim H. :

OK, good luck. Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service. (bonuses are always appreciated). Feel free to post back with any additional questions.

Customer:

will do, have a great day

Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.