BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

On Saturday we had an electrical storm with strong lightning.

On Saturday we had an electrical storm with strong lightning. A/C failed as well as several other electronic devices.

A/C is RHEEM RPRL-048JEC. Shows a fault code of 07, Compressor Open Run Circuit. Unit will start for a few seconds then quit. I have changed the Run Capacitor and the Circuit Board. No change. Both the LPC & HPC show to be closed when unit is off.

This is not a code we like. It means the compressor has open winding internally.

This is not a repairable item. It means the compressor must be replaced.

You can verify by ohming the compressor windings, but that is what the board is doing as a diagnostic.

Short story is the compressor is compromised internally and will need to be replaced.

I apologize for the news...I like helping and giving helpful news, but with this code I cannot beat around the bush.

100% of the time I have seen this code it is a bad compressor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Billy.

I ohmed the compressor but got several different readings and wasn't smart enough to know what to make of it but perhaps you can enlighten me.

1st 2.5 1.6 3.1

2nd 2.3 1.3 2.8

3rd 1.8 0.6 2.3

4th 1.5 0.7 2.3

The windings should ohm as follows:

R to C = lowest reading
S to R = Highest reading
S to C = middle reading

Yours follows that rule but it is when energized that your unit trips.

Is it safe to day the following?

Unit goes to start
Hums under stress for 5 seconds or so.
Trips off silent.

Then sits idle for a while and then attempts to turn back on?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I have just checked it as you suggested. I suppose the humming could be described as under stress but kind of sounded like a normal start. The rest of your description is as you describe.

Thank you.

If the compressor were seized we would get LRA warning. Locked Rotor Amps.

Yours is coding an open soon as it gets a creates heat..and with the heat the winding opens.

The bad thing is it is internal and not a doggone thing we can do about it.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks Billy. What ever will be will be! I have contacted my insurance company but wanted to make sure the problem wasn't something less expensive.

When I do insurance investigations I generally recommend a new unit when the situation is caused by lightning/power surge.

There could be other issues that do not manifest until later that were compromised.

I really wish you well