BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

HVAC question(s) regarding Coleman Evcon heat pump.Has

HVAC question(s) regarding Coleman Evcon heat pump.

Has been running fine. Got home from 4 day camping trip and had set the AC temp to 90 while away. Turned it back down to 78 when I returned, and the system showed running at the thermostat, but the condenser (outdoor) unit never switched on. No breakers tripped, and the relay is activated. Fan motor buzzing and HOT! I assumed the fan motor had fried, and swapped it out for another known good unit. Wire colors don't match, so I'm unsure whether I've gotten that right, but still no action on the outdoor unit, and now the t-stat will not indicate system running.

My name is Billy. I have read your question and am ready to get started.

First, did you check or look at the capacitor when this started?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I looked at the cap. From past experience, I would have expected that freshly fried capacitor smell and/or some visible evidence of failure, neither of which exist. However, I have not tested the cap. This one has three terminals: HERM, C, and FAN. At this moment, I'm trying to figure out which two to hook my hard-start cap to.

As mentioned earlier, the fan motor doesn't attempt to turn (though it spins freely by hand) but it gets very hot. I can't discern that the compressor is trying to start at all.

Ok, have you tried to spin the fan while energized?

The hard start goes to herm and C
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes, tried spinning the fan while it was buzzing - didn't "catch" or even try to turn on its own.

Have you verified 220 volt supply hot to hot...not hot to ground?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

This is the wife he is checking the volt.

sounds like one leg missing od power...

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Not sure my last reply made it through. After checking the two legs (232VAC) I decided to risk it and replaced the 30uf cap with a 45uf cap I had on-hand. It worked, so I'll pick up a new 30uf cap tomorrow.

I appreciate your time going through this with me, and will happily pay the fee. I might need you again sometime.

I am very glad all worked out.

If you have further issues please let me know.

Billy