Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

our heat pump cycles for cooling inside the unit, but the fan

our heat pump cycles for cooling inside the unit, but the fan on top of the box does not come on or make any noise at all. I can turn it manually with ease in both directions. Any ideas?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.

This can be either a bad defrost board or a bad motor. Do you have a volt meter?

Billy

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

yes

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I have a volt meter that is rated to 300 V maximum

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you,

follow the black wire from motor to board.

Are you familiar with this circuit board location?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I am not.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
In the electrical section is where the power enters the unit. There is a defrost circuit board in that area. The black wire for the motor comes from that board.

If you get me a model number of the unit I can send a pic

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

ok Trane XE 1600

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Looks like this

316.jpg

We need to see if that terminal from the defrost board is putting power out.

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Just got to the board. I have a flashing red "status" led on the board. I cant tell which terminal we are trying to figure out if it's putting out power. Picture is small and I can't enlarge on this end

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
did you follow the black wire from the fan motor?

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

Ok. I located where the black fan wire goes into the board. how do I test for power?

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
put meter lead on that terminal and then other meter lead on the contactor

but put meter on red wire side.

so one lead on contactor red wire terminal and other lead on black wire terminal on defrost board.

Tell me if 115v or 230v

This must be done while it is running

Customer: replied 10 months ago.

I put the AC on, unit comes on about 10 seconds later. Fan does not come on. Unit runs for two minutes, then shuts down. During this time I put meter on with red to black on terminal and black to red wire on contactor. My meter reads 60 on the DC scale or 2 out of ten on AC scale.

Expert:  Billy replied 10 months ago.
Thank you.

it appears the defrost board is bad...you can bypass to test.

Take the black motor wire off the board. Then attach it to the black wire side of the contactor.

So red wire is one side and the black motor wire mounts with the other black wires on other side.

Then turn on....if board is bad the fan will start and run fine for ac. But the board would need to be replaced before heating season.

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 10 months ago.

went with the bypass and the fan makes a bad sound and when manually turned it goes slowly for a bit and then stops. Fan motor seems bad, time to call in a technician