Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

No power to red wire

No power to red wire
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

You likely have blown a 5 amp fuse in the air handler. Do you have access to check this with direction?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes sir! If you can tell me where it is.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The air handler has 2 doors...one with pipes entering and one that does not.

We want to remove the door without pipes....then look for a circuit board that has wires attached. If you get me the model number of the air handler I can be specific possibly with pictures.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

aruf061-oda-1 is the model number. I have the cover off.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

depending on age the ARUF came wired a bit different.

Does your unit have a small circuit board inside?...or can you take a pic and post?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just emailed it to you.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That may take admin a while..can you post it or share it at a site like mediafire.com?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Sorry...I cannot see the attachment.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I put it on mediafire, listed under my other email addressXXX@XXXXXX.XXX

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
go to mediafire and use the share link and give me the link

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

http://www.mediafire.com/view/p50wt96y584sge7/circuit_board.jpg

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you.

Do you see the terminal marked xfrm R?

Follow that wire back to the transformer

does the red wire have a inline fuse before the it gets to the transformer?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No. I don't see any inline fuses anywhere.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
with power on....and door safety switch taped down (if present)

Use meter and test terminals XFRM R and XFRM C

tell me 24v present. If this is an older unit it may not have fuse protection...this would mean bad transformer. But this will test that theory

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Any other way to test it? I don't have a meter with me. But if there are no fuses and no power at thermostat, it's probably the transformer, right?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
That is correct providing:

The unit still has main power.

The number 1 fault that occurs when changing thermostat is a low voltage short. Which when low voltage fuse is present it blows. In the absense of a low voltage fuse it burns out the transformer.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you tell by looking at it (after removing it) if it's blown? Also, can I buy a transformer at Lowes or Home Depot?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
This particular unit needs a 208/230 - 24v 40va transformer.

SEE HERE

I have never attempted to acquire from home improvement store.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Maybe an electrical supply store? No way to tell it it's blown after taken it out?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The only way is to apply 220 volt to the input...if no 24v at output then transformer is bad. They usually smell acrid if bad.

An electrical supply would carry this.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thank you. Looks like my electrical supply place is close for Labor Day. Bad day to screw up my HVAC. Thanks for the help.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I really wish you well.

If you need further help just let me know.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks so much for your help. Best wishes to you also.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I apologize but if not rated this keeps requesting a response/rating.

If satisfied - rate
If not satisfied disregard and do not respond

Have a great evening

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics