Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

What does the buzzer indicate on a GE room ac model ASW12A

What does the buzzer indicate on a GE room ac model ASW12ACS1?

Drcool :

Hello, There was no mention of a buzzer on the owner's manual. I am thinking, the sound you are hearing could have just sound like a buzzer.

Drcool :

Can you describe the sound further please? Is the sound continuous ? or breaks after a few seconds , then repeats after a longer period?

Drcool :

Do you hear a click before the buzzing sound disappear?

Drcool :

Is the fan running? Is the unit still cooling?

Customer:

Definite buzzer sound(basketball quarter end sound) approximately 5 seconds in duration repeating every 5 minutes.

Customer:

When I turned unit on this morning to check timing, it buzzed.. The fan is still running. The buzzing now is 5 seconds every 20 seconds. Compressor not kicking in, not cooling.

Drcool :

Hello, Thank you for those info.

Drcool :

So it is the compressor that makes the buzzing sound. And yes, this buzzing sound is the sound the compressor created when ever it can not start.

Drcool :

Usual problem is the capacitor. If you are confident to open your unit, you can un plug it, open up the cabinet of the unit and look for the capacitor. Let me see if I can find you a parts diagram to identify the capacitor. Please hold on.

Drcool :

Here is the parts diagram, the capacitor is item number 10. As you can see, item 713 is the clip capacitor. I just do not know why it would be labelled C-oil ( Compressor )

Customer:

My innards do not look like the ones in your parts diagram!! Do you have a different diagram? Sorry for reply delay--juggling several problems today.

Drcool :

oh. Ok..Let me see if we got some more...Please hold on again.

Drcool :

Hello, looks like all other retailers online uses the same diagram. May I know what did you notice different from your unit?

Drcool :

It would probably would not matter, as long as you can open your unit, you would clearly find the capacitor. it would look like this...

Drcool :

Then check if it is bulging on top. That would be a bad one. If not, then there could be a chance that even if you replaced the capacitor and the problem is not corrected, then we can say your problem is your compressor it self. It could have stuck and would not turn. If this is the case, then it should be replaced.

Customer:

Found the capacitor..was not expecting large size with only top visible on first inspection. Does not seem to be bulging on top.Should I order a new one and install? How do I get the old capacitor out?

Customer:

Got capacitor out. now what?

Drcool :

Hello, sorry for the late reply. If you have a capacitance meter, or can borrow one, you can test it first before buying a new one, but you do not have a capacitance meter to test the capacitor, then ask your local hvac retailer near your area, show the capacitor, let them test it if they have a capacitance meter, and if it is bad, buy a new one ans install it back.

Drcool :

Then test your unit if the compressor would now run.