Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

Hi just replaced my GE Condenser fan motor with Dayton equivalent

Hi just replaced my GE Condenser fan motor with Dayton equivalent 4m205j from Grainger & Now the motor runs backwards ? what did i do wrong

Drcool :

Hello, Usually, replacement motors and original motors would have a way to reverse rotation. On the side of the new motor would be the wiring instruction. It would be indicated there which wire to swap in order to reverse rotation.

Drcool :

On Fasco motors, it would be yellow and violet. I just do not remember for a Dayton motor.

Drcool :

Yours has reversing plugs.

Customer:

Hi Drcool the instructions said violet to replace black &black to replace yellow

Drcool :

So, can you follow the instruction? The wires should have male and female sockets so you would not miss swapping them.. Can you post the instruction here? Use the paper clip icon to attache a picture .

Drcool :

So, you also have a violet and a yellow wire huh? Do you have two black wires that are connected to the yellow and violet wire before? And the isntruction is to swap each black to the other colored wire?

Customer:

New motor has violet black brown &brown&white right now i have brown &brown&white going to the comp &violet going to line 1 black going to comp

Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience: i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
You may have a dedicated rotation motor - that is - some universal motors are reversible and others are dedicated to one rotational direction - the easiest way to reverse the airflow is to take the fan blade off and flip it upside down - it might be tricky tightening the set screw but it will accomplish the goal..

Aside from the long wires that you have mentioned, are there any small wires that just came out of the motor shell? The yellow one?

Or can you post the picture of the label on the motor on how to reverse the rotation?
Plus the a picture of the motor itself where the wires came out of the motor shell.

Seems, you have plugs that you can interchange in order to reverse the rotation.

-