Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package

im trying to determine the problem with my ac unit. The outside

im trying to determine the problem with my ac unit. The outside fan does not turn on unless I push the blades with a stick (then it starts up fine). The ac then cools fine-I shut it off though because I'm guessing it wont start back up again when it needs to. From looking on the internet, I thought it was possibly the capacitor. Of course it is rusted to a point I cant see the numbers. The top doesn't appear to be bulging. I also found a "super boost" starter in there-the specs on that are also impossible to make out. I have a Armstrong concept 1000 scu10e48a-2, and copeland zr45kc-pvf-135. Does it sound like I should replace the capacitor, starter? both? or is this some other problem.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Drcool replied 10 months ago.

Drcool :

Hello, There is a big possibility that only the fan capacitor is the problem.. Can you not get any numbers on the fan itself?...In this case, we might be able to find the right capacitor. By the way, how many capacitors do you see and how many terminals do you see the capacitor has? Thanks.

Customer:

I didn't look at the fan motor itself..yet. There is one capacitor with 3 terminals. I'll go take a look at the fan

Drcool :

Ok.. So you have the dual capacitor type. In that case you would be forced to replace the whole capacitor, meaning you would be also replacing the compressor capacitor. You may leave the super boost stater there since there is no problem for the compressor to start.

Customer:

I looked at the fan. Do you need numbers off of it?

Drcool :

Hello, found on one forum that the fan motor you got uses 5 uf. 370 volts. That would be fine, just to confirm what capacitor would you need.

Drcool :

What is the model number of the fan please?

Customer:

F48G19A45

Drcool :

Yup, it uses a 5 uf 370 volts capacitor. If you want to save some money, you may want to replace just the fan capacitor so just buy the 5 uf 370 voltas from a local hvac dealer near you.

Customer:

So Im confused...I only see one capacitor. Is there another one on the inside of the fan motor?

Drcool :

No.. I am sorry, you will leave the dual capacitor that you got so that the compressor could still start but you would transfer the single wire from the terminal marked "F" to one of the terminal of the new capacitor and then you would have to make a wire with spade terminals that you would use to connect the other terminal of the new capacitor to the terminal of the old capacitor marked "C" . C stands for common terminal. The last terminal of the old capacitor would have a marked " HERM" , stands for hermetic.

Drcool :

You old capacitor is a dual capacitor. Could be a 40/5 uf 370 volts. And only the 5 uf got busted. the 40 uf is still working fine.

Drcool :

But if you want to replace the whole dual capacitor, then you can , it would just be a little bit expensive than a single 5 uf capacitor...

Customer:

seems like it would probably be easier, for me anyway. Now to find it...

Drcool :

So you want to replace the whole dual capacitor?

Customer:

Full Size Image
This is it right?...Looks like its only $20 or so.

Drcool :

yup. if you can remove it, the label could be at the back. YOu got 4ton unit based on your model number so I would assume aeither a 50/5 or a 60/5 uf 370 volts. But it would be best if you can buy a cheap capacitance meter and try to measure the capacitance of the compressor capacitor. That would be the terminal c and herm that you would measure. But be very careful on removing all the wires, you would put them back so please take note where the wires are connected.

Customer:

Full Size Image
Would this point to the 50/5 370?

Drcool :

Yup.. Thats it... You need a 50/5 uf 370 volts....And also, retain the super boost starter to help the compressor run right away.

Customer:

awesome . Thanks. Hopefully it works.

Drcool :

Im sure it would.

Drcool :

I would log out at the moment, just buy the capacitor from a local hvac retailer near you and replace the capacitor. Be careful, capacitor tends to store voltage so better wait for about 10 minutes after you have removed power before removing the wires. Thank you for using this service.

Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience: i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package