Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

A/C is frozen inside and has ice on outside unit. I have a

A/C is frozen inside and has ice on outside unit. I have a fan blowing on it to thaw it out. Do I need to just wait until its all thawed out and then turn it back on. Will it need any Freon? Will I need to call an expert to come look at it.? We have had cool nights for a few days.

Tim H. :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent" service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H. :

Good morning.

Tim H. :

A iced up system is caused by either airflow issues or refrigerant charge problems. Check for dirty furnace filter, blower issues, or low on refrigerant charge.

Customer:

My hubby changes filters quite often. He just put a new one in today, after the fact, but I don't think it was that bad.

Tim H. :

OK, if filter is OK and air seems to be coming out of the vents OK (after you deice it), then that would point to the last problem---low on refrigerant charge.

Customer:

We leave the door opened up some most the time for good airflow. he said it was probably the Freon. Can we check that someway?

Tim H. :

Not really. Even if you had a guage set, you would need to know what to look for--the proper pressures and this takes training and experience.

Customer:

OK so we have to call an expert out then?

Tim H. :

Yes, but I would thaw it out completely first as it's impossible to read the pressures with it all iced up. I'm guessing it will be down 1-2 pounds at least.

Customer:

it has been awhile since we have had someone out to check it.

Tim H. :

Yeah, sounds like it's time again. Good luck!

Customer:

What is an approximate cost per pound of refrigerant?

Tim H. :

If it's R22 the cost can vary---but I charge $30/lb. The stuff is REALLY expensive now as it is being phased out.

Customer:

Oh well, I will just go on and call, I am sure he won't be here that soon. Thanks

Customer:

OHhh, whats the newer version if its being phased out? This unit is11 years old.

Tim H. :

R410A. It would have a pink colored lablel or say R410A on the label. No problem. Let me know if you have any other questions. Please don't forget to rate my service. Have a great day!