Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Hello, I have a White Rodgers thermostat and I got a message

Hello, I have a White Rodgers thermostat and I got a message on the display that the read "Low Battery". So I changed out the 2 double AA batteries and all seemed okay; however now I have an snowflake symbol that is NOT blinking. The snow flake is constantly displayed and then I saw a message that said "Battery/Filter". So I just replaced the AA batteries again thinking I had put in bad batteries. I went out of town for a couple of days and when I returned the display was blank so I replaced the AA's again and the display lit up. The temp was at 63 degrees, although I had set the thermostat to stay at 72 while I was gone. Do I just need a new thermostat? or do I have a larger problem? My unit is 6 yrs old. Carol Anne Alexandria, LA

Update from client 45 minutes after sending initial question: I looked at my filter also and at first glance I thought it was still pretty clean because I was looking at the back side, then I went and got a new filter and saw that the filter really needed to be changed out. I had just changed it about a month ago so I didn't think it was the filter. But apparently it needed to be changed.  So I've done that. Please still reply to me.  I am going to turn the themostat/AC unit off to see if it needs to be re-set. I am still waiting for your reply.

Tim H. :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H. :

Good morning.

Customer:

Good morning Tim,

Tim H. :

Carol, it does indeed sound like you may need a new thermostat. Typically the batteries will last anywhere from 6 months to a year and should not need replacement that often.

Tim H. :

What type of system is this?

Customer:

It is Rheem Model RCHA-36A2G.

Tim H. :

Is it a standard furnace and central AC unit?

Customer:

I believe so. I live in a 3 bdrm 2 bath single story townhome and the system was installed by the previous owner who had the unit built. I just did something else to my unit. I replaced the filter. I didn't think it needed it because I just changed it about a month ago but it was very dirty so I replace it. I then turned off the system to see if it needed to be "reset". Again the thermostat is working correctly right now but the snowflake will not go away.

Tim H. :

On most thermostats a constant snowflake means cooling should be on. When it blinks, it means it is in a 3-5 minute delay.

Customer:

Okay so maybe the snowflake has always been there but I just never noticed it. So that is good. Another question, the thermostat has 2 AA batteries in it and if you can believe it I never changed them out in 5 years. I didn't even know about those 2 batteries until the "low battery" msg came up on the display. However, like I shared before the display would go out so I kept replacing the AA batteries. Then when the msg came up that read, "battery filter", I said well I'd better look at the filter. Your thoughts on that msg "battery filter".

Tim H. :

I wouldn't be too concerned about the "filter" message. This is just a preprogrammed timed display message that comes up after so many hours of running. The thermostat has no way of knowing how dirty the filter is. It's more of a courtesy reminder.

Customer:

Okay that is good to know. Do you think it is best that I ask a serviceman to just replace my thermostat since I've had so many problems with the "battery msg"? Also, when I returned home from my 2 day trip and the temp in my home was 63 degrees instead of 72 where I had set the thermostat, as I looked at the thermostat display it was just blank. It didn't display any information.

Tim H. :

See that

Tim H. :

See that's what makes me somewhat convinced that the thermostat could be at least part of the problem. If the batteries are good, the display should never go blank, even if the furnace loses power.

Tim H. :

I would start by replacement of the thermostat. Then see if the A/C system is running OK. Sometimes it's possible to have more than one issue.

Customer:

Okay, that sounds like a great place to start and hopefully that is all that is needed. I feel more informed now and will call my A/C company. I really appreciate your feedback.

Tim H. :

No problem. Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service.

Tim H. :

Have a great day!

Customer:

I will rate your service as excellent. Thanks again.