airheatman
airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have an Amana ASX16 which quits cooling regularly. The service

I have an Amana ASX16 which quits cooling regularly. The service tech showed me how to reset the control board on the outside unit (condenser) to alleviate the ongoing aggravation. But I've forgotten the procedure.

Can you help me out?
Hello.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Let's get started and see what we can do!
To reset the control board, you can turn off high voltage to the outdoor unit as well as to the air handler. Then restore power.
Do you have the Comfortnet communicating thermostat?
Exactly what is happening when you say it stops cooling? Does unit shut down? If so what flash code are you getting on the board in the outdoor unit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I have cycled power to the outside until by removing the 'breaker'. As for the thermostat type - I don't know. It is a Honeywell brand replacement for the original Amana thermostat
How many wires (control wires go to outdoor unit? A communicating stat only has like 3 wires.
What trouble code do you get on board in outdoor unit?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I can't tell how many wires are coming in - its a rats nest. And there are no trouble codes that I'm aware of. What do I look for?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Peering through the wires I see a red light on next to a 'trip' label. Also, the breaker is pulled but the green light is still on by the power label.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Another thing, I hear a mechanical clank happening at regular intervals, like something is trying to reset/start.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
The red trip light just went out
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
On the thermostat, it looks like the are 6 wires coming to the outside unit, if each of the wire nuts indicates an incoming and joined wire

Ok if the red Trip light was on, one of the following has taken place: 1. Compressor protector is open 2. Outdoor unit power disconnect is open 3. Compressor circuit breaker or fuse(s) is open 4. Broken wire or connector is not making contact 5. Low pressure switch open if present in system 6. Compressor contactor has failed open

Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Reinserted the breaker and the trip light is still dark.
Did board reset and will unit come back on now?
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Stand by. I have to run inside, but the outside unit has not started.
OK, Now you will have a 5 minute delay once thermostat calls for cool. I will stand by
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
I'm indoors now and waiting for the cool air. Is there a need to shut off the AC at the thermostat in addition to cycling the breaker/power disconnect outside?
I would turn everything off. The breakers on, then call for cool and lets give it 5 minutes.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Okay. Everything has been cycled and the five minutes of suspense begins. I'll ping you in five
Standing by
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Air is flowing once more. It is slightly cool but not cold. The last tech call was 5 weeks ago and he indicated the refrigerant levels were good. Should the air get colder over time?
Yes the air should get colder as unit runs. Is both indoor and outdoor coming on? Feel of the large copper line at outdoor unit and let me know if it is getting cooler as unit runs.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Both units are running and the large copper line is cool, not cold ... And the temperature doesn't seem to be changing.
Sounds like you may have a refrigerant charge issue. I suggest getting them to recheck the freon with a set of gauges.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.
Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX that. I'm curious, why would this unit require resetting in a regular basis? It has been a lemon since day one with 7 service calls in 3 years. Lots of things replaced, lots of excuses made ... And it still cools less effectively than its slightly larger downstairs version.
I understand the frustration. Hopefully they will get this figured out.I am sure it is under warranty, but still aggravating. Sounds like maybe a refrigerant issue. You may even have a thermostat expansion valve on one of the coils that sticks at different times causing the pressures to trip the switch.