gotoman for ac
gotoman for ac, HVAC Technician
Experience:  51 years of experience install design and repair of all makes and models of AC

Im a technician and having problems with a Rheem RPRL-036JEC

I'm a technician and having problems with a Rheem RPRL-036JEC 2-stage heat pump. The condenser kicks on and the compressor tries to start, fan spins but compressor doesn't run. Everything is hot. On the electrical wiring schematics there are two lines running from the back of the compressor showing "HIGH". Are these circuits supposed to be open or close and what do they do? The system is a complete match with communicating rheem-500 thermostat. Original control board was displaying code "27" which states no line voltage, but 240v were coming out when tested. The unit did not run or power on at all, therefore I replaced the control board and unit proceeded to come on, but fails to run as stated above. I want to make sure compressor is faulty before replacing or is something else wrong that I'm missing. Thanks, Dax
Russ here.. The two lines running to back is second stage loader. It closes unloader for second stage or high. Did you put amprobe on compressor when it was trying to start. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

No, i did not check it, but i will. what should it read? i will well check it later, i'm not near the system now.

Just check amps and see if it s trying to start. It will read lock roto amps if it is trying to start. Russ
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It's reading 5 amps. The start jumps to 30amps and comes back to 5amps. It only runs for one second.

If compressor starts and then drops to amps and cuts out you have bad compressor. When I replace compressor I would also replace start components. Russ

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Ok thanks!

You are welcome please give me follow up. If you are satisfied with answer please press accept. I do not get paid unless you do. Russ