Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Rheem 5 ton A/c says power failure on the display

My Rheem 5 ton A/c says power failure on the control display. I reset all breakers and turned system back on ant which point is went through its system check and found heat pump/ac etc and started running, but then it shut off and said "power failure" on display again and I cant get the A/c to start again? I have no idea what the issue is???

The system just restarted on its own. Appears to be cooling, but its restarted twice now in the past couple of hours and then gone back into "power failure" mode

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as excellent service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.
Can I get full model number of this unit? Which control does it have?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Model # XXXXX XXXXX

It has started running again, but has failed twice in the past couple of hours. When it quits running its gives the "power failure" message on the digital display

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Does this have the communicating thermostat?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Can you just call me at XXX-XXX-XXXX? it might be easier

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Sorry site does not allow personal contact with customers either by phone or email.
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
Does your thermostat look like the one on page 8 of this manual?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

No.It is larger with more control buttons. indoor and out door temp. hold settings and programed settings etc

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
OK, but it IS a communicating thermostat, correct?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Yes. It would appear. I found the manual and under the diagnostics it has a reset option which I'm going to try

Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.
It appears as if you are intermittently losing power to the thermostat. This could be a bad switch on the side of the furnace, a bad circuit breaker, or even a board problem.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.