Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

My Ranco ETC for my wine cellar is not cooling the cellar.

My Ranco ETC for my wine cellar is not cooling the cellar. It is set for 55 degrees farenheit but it registers 69 degrees. And the cellar is definitely much too warm.

Help! Thank you - Deborah

Drcool :

Hello Deborah, the Ranco ETC is just a controller to control the unit that cools down the cellar. May I know what kind of unit cools down the cellar?

Customer:

Let me see if I can find that. Hang on please . . .

Drcool :

Im here.

Customer:

Copeland

Drcool :

ok. is the copeland running at the moment?

Customer:

yes - it's quite loud and has been for some time - it's outside

Drcool :

Ok. So the Ranco ETC has turned on the unit outside. So it is functioning. Now, if you go outside, where the compressor is running quite loud, there would be a rectangular condenser coil ( aluminum fins with a fan inside), is the fan running as well? Is the coil dirty? covered with dust and dirt?

Drcool :

Hello, are you still typing? or the computer hang?

Customer:

let me check that - it's against the house so not sure I can see it - but I'll check . . . sorry - I haven't checked yet - I am scrambling work-wise this morning - can we chat later?

Drcool :

you can post what ever you find out and if i am offline, I will answer them as soon as I log back in.

Drcool :

I will be here an hour or more from now.

Customer:

It is pretty dirty. Leaves on the inside and dirt on the condenser. What is best way to clean? Just brush the condenser coil and blow leaves out of the cabinet?

Customer:

The unit is only 2-1/2 years old, but I guess they require regular cleaning?

Drcool :

That would be a safe way to do it. But if you can manage to spray the condenser coil with water but making sure the fan and other electrical components would not get wet, then I would prefer it with water. Regular cleaning would be at least twice a year.

Customer:

OK, thanks.

Drcool :

The noise is generated by the compressor having a hard time working because the heat is not being dissipated on the condenser coil.

Drcool :

Is the fan still running?

Customer:

I didn't see the fan. It sounded like it was running. Is it visible without taking the cover off?

Drcool :

I don't think so. If you could see anything that is being blown away or feel any air coming out of the condenser coil, then that would tell you that the fan is running because if it is not, then that should be corrected ASAP.

Customer:

Yes, warm air was being blown out.

Drcool :

That is good to hear. If we are not too late in correcting these issues, your unit might still go back cooling the cellar. Hopefully, it is just the dirt of the condenser and nothing more. ( Keeping my fingers crossed )

Customer:

We will try cleaning. If that doesn't help I assume the compressor is not functioning properly?

Drcool :

That would be the first thing that could be broken with a dirty condenser coil.

Customer:

ok, thanks. bye

Drcool :

bye and thank you too for using this service.

Drcool :