BillyHvac
BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

If you have a four ton unit, instead of a three ton unit, will

If you have a four ton unit, instead of a three ton unit, will your electric bill be less because it does not have to work so hard to heat or cool home.
This is a great question.

Air conditioning is one of the things that you want sized right...or actually slightly smaller.

What happens if you put in to big of a unit = The unit cools too fast and leaves a cool damp feeling. I call it a basement feel because it is cool but the humidity is high.

With a proper size or slightly smaller we get a longer run time which allows the unit to remove humidity.

If you are going to chane out the ac....get a load calculation done by the contractor...and to save money go with a higher seer unit.

It is not the size of a unit to save energy but the seer rating. A 5 ton 16 seer can be cheaper to operate than a 3 ton 13 seer.

So whatever the result...do not oversize the ac unit as it will cool to fast and not dehumidify

Any other questions please let me know.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

the home was built in the 70s I think. It is almost 1600 square feet. they live in Austin Texas growing zone 9. Who would you call to calculate the seer unit? a regular air conditioning sales guy, or do you recommend a certain brand? I have never heard of this seer unit. It is very humid in Austin. Thank you.

SEER is like miles per gallon on a car.

We want to get a unit that operates efficiently for the climate it is in.

Example - Michigan only runs ac 3 months heavy...it doesnt warrant spending extra on a high efficient unit.

Texas - Here it pays to buy a high seer unit because it runs so much.

16 seer and higher (higher the seer the better) is great for TX.
But also in TX it is important not to oversize as the humidity needs to be removed with longer run times.

Any ac contractor can run a load calc for you. It takes location, sq ft, windows, insulation etc....and gives a recommended size. Sight unseen I would say you will be in the area of 3 to 3.5 ton. based on sq ft.

Thr brand is secondary to a good install...Trane, Bryant, Carrier, American Standard, Lennox....are all good makes. The key is getting a contractor you feel comfortable with.....AND....does a load calc.

Billy

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you very much!!