Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Hello, Trying to wire my Honeywell RTHL111 series. I didnt

Trying to wire my Honeywell RTHL111 series. I didn't take a picture of the wires connected to the old thermostat and I almost immediately forgot which wires went where. I have Black Orange Red Green Yellow and White wires. Have tried many different configurations but none seem to be working. HELP!
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Tim H. replied 1 year ago.

Tim H :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent" service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H :

Hello there.

Customer:

hi

Tim H :

What kind of system are we working with here?

Customer:

I'm going nuts here. Make a terrible mistake and took wires off old therostat without writing down which terminals they were connected to or taking a picture.

Tim H :

Is this a heat pump or standard furnace and AC?

Customer:

Its a Payne central air/central heat inside unit.

Customer:

I don't know if there is a heat pump. Its all electric, no furnace.

Tim H :

So just a standard system, correct?

Customer:

Yes, i suppose. I don't know shit about HVAC

Customer:

sorry.

Tim H :

I need to know if it's a heat pump because they get wired differently

Customer:

do you want me to send you some pics?

Customer:

How would i find out if there's a heat pump?

Tim H :

How about some make and model numbers of inside and outside units?

Customer:

ok. hold on let me get those for you.

Tim H :

OK

Customer:

ok, indoor unit is Payne Model PF1MNB048

Customer:

outdoor unit is a Carrier

Customer:

Model is PH10JA048-G

Customer:

Outdoor unit is typical central AC unit I suppose.

Tim H :

This is a heat pump and fan coil unit

Customer:

ok

Tim H :

So typically red would go to Rc and Rh, green to G, yellow to Y1, orange to O/B, and white to E and Aux tied together

Tim H :

Don't need the black

Customer:

ok hold on. Let me send you of pic of my thing and how I have the wires now.

Tim H :

OK

Customer:

Full Size Image

Customer:

ok there it is. What a pain it was to do that. Sorry.

Tim H :

No problem, do you have back up electric heat?

Customer:

ummmmm i don't know

Customer:

i have electric heat period. I don't know if I have back up

Tim H :

Well, heat pump supplies some heat, but usually in colder climates, you also need backup electric heat

Customer:

would it say on the unit somewhere if there was back up? is the red wire supposed to be attached to the jumper like that?

Customer:

I live in Florida, so I am going to guess that there is no back up.

Tim H :

No the red should go down and be put into the terminal either RC or RH

Tim H :

The rest of the wires look OK. Did you turn power off before starting to wire?

Customer:

yes

Customer:

oh, ok. which terminal should i put the red one in? should i try each one?

Customer:

and there is only R or RC, no RH

Tim H :

Take and turn power off, doublecheck all wires to make sure they are firmly seated. Bring the red down and put it in the R terminal next to the jumper wire and tighten down securely

Customer:

ok. oh, leave the jumper in? put the wire in with the jumper still in there too?

Tim H :

Yes, you need the jumper

Customer:

ok cool. Let me give that a try and I'll get right back to you.

Tim H :

I'll standby

Customer:

thermostat is going through its reset process.

Customer:

as soon as its done i'll let you know if it worked.

Tim H :

OK, did you go into the setup menu and set up the system type as "heat pump"?

Customer:

it doesn't have that function. this is a very basic thermostat. there is a switch inside to go between electric and gas, but that's all. its switched to electric of course.

Tim H :

OK, I just noticed that

Customer:

i'm so angry with myself for not taking a picture of the original thermostat wiring before i disconnected it. its till flashing right now, some sort of protection thing for the condenser. it takes a while before it actually kicks on. sorry.

Tim H :

OK, let's wait and see what happens

Customer:

ok its done flashing. nothing happened. the airhandler did not kick on. damn.

Customer:

should i call my AC guy? have a pro come over?

Tim H :

OK, I'm thinking you may have blown a fuse on the board or worse yet, the transformer

Customer:

this is maddening. i played with the wires quite a bit today, trying different configurations. got the air handler to kick on several times but not the outside unit.

Customer:

oh my. that doesn't sound good. what would cause that?

Tim H :

Having the wires in the wrong place, for one thing

Customer:

could the thermostat be faulty?

Customer:

oh

Customer:

i called an hvac guy and he said to try several different combinations. he said nothing bad could happen because its low voltage.

Customer:

i guess he lied?

Tim H :

Most air handlers have a fuse or circuit breaker on the board.

Customer:

i didn't use the blue or the black wire at all.

Tim H :

Do you have a voltmeter?

Customer:

no. i don't. i should get one though.

Customer:

i guess i need to call someone to come out.

Customer:

crap.

Customer:

what a mess.

Tim H :

OK, without that I can't have you check for 24 volts. It looks to me that from the picture, the wires are in the right place now. I just think you may have blown a fuse on the board or the transformer.

Customer:

ok. is that a big deal to replace?

Customer:

like, is it expensive?

Tim H :

No, not really

Tim H :

No

Customer:

ok cool. I'll call someone and them come out tomorrow or whatever. thanks.

Customer:

*have

Tim H :

No problem. Good luck and thanks for using Just Answer. Please don't forget to rate my service. Feel free to post back with any further questions.

Customer:

I will certainly do that. Thanks for your help. Have a good night.

Tim H :

You too, take care

Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience: Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.