hvacexpertjoe
hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have owned and operated 2 HVAC companies in KY an WV. My background is electrical engineering.
63041791

Hi Billy: I have a Ducane central unit Model AC10B36-B, Serial#3462810223.

Hi Billy:
I have a Ducane central unit Model AC10B36-B, Serial#3462810223. When I turn on the thermostat the fan outside won't turn on it just hums. I had a new capacitor install but it came on for a day and went back out.

What is wrong?
Hi, I'm Michelle and I am a Moderator for this topic. I sent Billy a message to follow up with you here, when they are back online.

If I can help further, please let me know. Thank you for your continued patience.
your bearings are probably shot in the fan motor. The capacitor probably was overcoming this problem for a day because it gives the fan motor its starting torque and direction. When the bearings go it gets tougher to overcome. Once the bearings go the motor needs to be replaced.
hvacexpertjoe, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have owned and operated 2 HVAC companies in KY an WV. My background is electrical engineering.
also it doesnt matter if the fan spins free. Once energized the motor is forced by magnetism out of the position where it was spinning freely because the bearing no longer is holding it in place.