Tim H.
Tim H., HVAC Professional
Experience:  Experienced in all aspects of HVAC, both residential and commercial.
27228809

Had a 31/2 ton rheem unit installed inside and outside last

Had a 31/2 ton rheem unit installed inside and outside last year. No problem until today. Both inside and outside was running when we heard a whining noise. When I finally figure it was coming from the outside unit the fan was running, but the compressor was not running and stopped make noise. I pulled the capacitor and had it check after about 45 minutes. The capacitor was still good. I installed the capacitor and turned the unit on and it ran fine, both the inside unit as well as the outside fan and compressor. Any ideas as why this happened. The outside unit is a 13ajn42a01.

Tim H :

Please do not rate me until we have finished our dialog and you can rate me as "excellent" service. Thanks for the opportunity to help.

Tim H :

Good evening.

Customer:

The unit seems to be working fine now. But I would like to know what I should do next if it happens again.

Tim H :

It is unusual for a compressor to make a whining noise. I've heard many other types of noises from compressors, but not that. You may have a compressor that is going bad.

Customer:

The compressor is not whining now and I am not really sure that the compressor was making the noise. I do know at first I thought it was coming from the inside unit until I opened the ac closet. It really seemed to now may have been coming from a vent or vents, but when I finally figured the noise was not coming from the inside unit I walked out and the fan was running, but the compressor was not making a sound. The noise actually sounded like a loud transformer.

Tim H :

Could it have been more of a "buzzing sound"?

Customer:

It did sound somewhat like that. I just hate to get a service man out and have the expense unless I need too.

Tim H :

If it was more of a "buzzing" sound, it could have been the contactor. Sometimes these do not pull in properly and they can get noisy.

Customer:

The only problem with that is the units were running for a period of time. I even pushed the contacts in after I turned the unit off at the thermostat. Again the outside fan came right on but not the compressor.

Tim H :

Have you checked voltage at compressor terminals when it won't run?

Customer:

No I have not checked that. I did have a one year service and the tech in May and he checked all of the voltage inside and outside.

Tim H :

I guess I would want to know that if compressor is not running. Also, make sure run capacitor is OK (which it sounds like you checked) and if that's OK, some compressors are tight and require a hard start kit. I installed a new unit this summer and had to put on a hard start kit due to a tight compressor.

Customer:

The compressor is running fine along with everything else. I quess I will just have to wait for the next time it goes out. I hope it never goes out again.

Tim H :

Yeah, a year and a half is a bit soon to start having issues.

Customer:

I guess that will be about it. I think I will cancel the service call for tomorrow. What are your thoughts on that?

Tim H :

I would keep an eye on it. You can always reschedule it. It could have just been a fluke, a one time thing. You'll know if the compressor is running because suction line will be cold (and sweating) in most cases.

Customer:

I can hear the compressor and the lines inside and outside are cold and sweating.

Tim H :

That's good!

Customer:

Thanks for the help.

Tim H :

Thanks for using Just Answer and please don't forget to rate my service. Feel free to post back with any further questions.