Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package

What should we do if we have an F2 error on our Sharp split

What should we do if we have an F2 error on our Sharp split air conditioner. Any tips or something I can check to clear the error.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, Can we have the complete model number of the unit please?

Customer:

I dont know the model number but it is a Sharp Split air con about 6 years old. F2 and the cold star just keeps flashing on the front of the unit. It sometimes gets colder but then F2 flashes and it just pumps air. Please can you let me know if there is anything i can do

Drcool :

Hello, Can you please check if there is a sticker on the side of the indoor unit that could tell the model number of your unit?

Drcool :

Also, when it gets cold the first few minutes, was it really cold or barely?

Drcool :

How long would it run before flashing F2?

Customer:

The number on the side is - 20516 space and the AHA18LCA. The machine at the moment is flashing F2 and warm air coming out. During the night it can start blowing cold air but most of the time just F2 and warm. F2 appears as soon as the machine is switched on

Drcool :

At Night, when the unit would blow cold air, no F2 on the display?

Customer:

No F2 on display day or night as soon as machine is switched on Cold mode.

Drcool :

Ok. then after how many seconds or minute before F2 would be displayed and the unit will stop blowing cold air?

Customer:

Maybe 1-2 seconds then F2 appears and cold air stops

Drcool :

Thank you for that. It would tell me that it could not be refrigerant problem since , usually, it would take about 5 minutes before the pipe would freeze if the unit is under charge then it would trigger an error code.

Drcool :

Have you checked the air filter of the indoor unit yet?

Customer:

How do I check the air Filter. I have opened the cabinet and cleaned the air filters they seem fine.

Drcool :

That would be the air filter. As you open the front cover of the indoor, that would be the first part that you would see. If they are clean, then that is fine. Do you know if your unit is an inverter type? I know it uses R-410A, so I am assuming it would be an inverter type.

Customer:

Not sure we live in Hong Kong so the unit runs off 220V no inverted

Drcool :

Sorry, it is 220v . what I mean is that it could be the new breed of AC. It slows down as it nears the set temperature to save electricity. Not stop and go. That is the new type of AC if it uses R-410A, a new type of refrigerant as well. But the downside of an inverter unit is that it uses a lot of electronics that makes things harder to trouble shoot.

Customer:

Sorry cant help seems to be fairly electronic oriented but thats all I can tell you.

Drcool :

That is the problem with these inverters. You can try to check the thermistor on the front of the indoor unit, it is like a small candy with a pair of small wires attached to the main electronic board, using a resistance meter. It should read at least 10 kilo ohms on it

Drcool :

Let me know what you find out.

Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience: i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package