Airheatman
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.
16514686

I have a Goodman CKJ60-1. It is 12 years old. Just had fan

I have a Goodman CKJ60-1. It is 12 years old. Just had fan motor, capacitor, and disconnect box replaced, and hard start kit added. Total charge was $907. HVAC company is willing to credit me the entire charge toward purchase of a new unit? Would a new purchase make sense given the overall age of the unit, or should I suppose the new parts will give it a new lease on life? I am in Houston, so our AC gets heavy use.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

The scary part is what has not broken yet...and that is the compressor. Then you are at a total loss.

Most units last 15 years ...but that doesn't mean Houston. Your in a climate where the equipment gets twice the workout.

If the contractor will credit you the repair funds on a 12 yr old unit in Texas...I would jump on it. That is a very fair offer. Plus the compressor failure may not be too far behind.

My opinion is to take them up on their offer. Then you can be worry free for a while.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The new parts were just put in yesterday. If the compressor fails, that would be about a $1,200 repair, I was told (not by the boss, though). Does that sound right? The new unit would run $3400.

HVAC also recommends replacing evaporator coil. But why replace a completely separate part that hasn't failed yet?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Relist: Incomplete answer.
Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Hello.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Let's get started and see what we can do!
Billy is correct that it would be a wise choice to replace the system.Life expectancy of these units is about 12 to 15 years. Also the new units all have the new R410 Refrigerant where your old unit uses R22 which is being phased out.You could possibly develop a refrigerant leak soon as well as like Billy said, lose the compressor.It is very unwise to spend900 bucks on repairs on this unit when you can get such a deal.
As for compressor replacement, you are actually looking more like around 1800 due to the costs of recharging the system with virgin R22 refrigerant which is going for 50 to 70 bucks per lb and price increasing almost daily.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have already paid the $900 for the repairs done yesterday. The $900 would be applied toward the cost of a new unit, about $3400. I don't see where the great deal is. Please explain.

Also, can you respond to my other issue - buying new evaporator coils, estimated at $2000 or so. Is there some advantage to replacing this when it is working fine and presumably could be replaced when it breaks down later?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
Yes . there is a great advantage to doing the new unit.First and foremost is the price of the new unit is very fair. Then once you pass this opportunity up, you are at the mercy of "luck" as your unit is out of warranty and at age of its life expectancy.Also you will see a tremendous energy savings on your power bill as your 12 year old unit is no where near as efficient as the new one would be.
I did not see the question about the evaporator coil earlier, but yes it is also a good decision for same reasons as mentioned earlier. Your system has reached life expectancy already and you are throwing good money at an old inefficient unit that has reached life expectancy. Also you will be getting a complete new 10 year parts warranty if you replace everything.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

How is the warranty different if I were to get the new unit now and the evaporator coil later?

Can't I stagger the warranties -10 years on the new unit, starting now, then 10 years on the evaporator coil, starting later?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.

The main thing is that you are very very close on the life expectancy issue.If you go with the complete new system now, you will get the new R410 system.This is important as the R22 is being phased out and costs are skyrocketting.It is highly possible that within the next year or so, you could develop a refrigerant leak due to age.When that happens, you will pay anywhere from 200 to 600 bucks to have the system recharged and locate the leak.Then you will most likely be recommended to replace the system as that can be an ongoing thing unless leak is repaired (which 90 per cent of time is at the knuckles or in between coil fins where it cannot be repaired.Then we have the issue with the 12 year old compressor.It is no doubt inefficient and again due to age, is expected to fail within next few years. That is just a fact of life that machinery has a certain life expectancy. Now is it possible that it will last several more years? Yes. Just not probable. The real question here is whether you want to keep spending 900 bucks, 300 bucks,400 bucks etc patching this thing and then purchase a new unit or do you want to go ahead and take care of this issue and not have to worry about it for the next 10 years? Now about the warranties.If you are planning on going back with just an R22 outdoor unit, you will not get 10 years parts warranty. The manufacturer can not sell the unit with R22 as it is against federal rgulations, so they purchase the unit charged with a dry nitrogen charge and then add the rerigerant. Due to the R22 being phased out as mentioned earlier, they only give you 5 years warranty on the brand new outdoor unit.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Just to confirm what I think you are implying - I cannot purchase an R410 unit without at the same time replacing the evaporator coil as well?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
That is correct. Your indoor coil that you currently have is an R22 coil and will not work with a R410A outdoor unit.
In the beginning of the conversation, I thought you were referring to getting a credit on installing a complete new system.for a total cost of 3400 plus the 904 you have already paid.
Please verify something for me.As our conversation went it appears that you were referring to just an new outdoor unit.
The price of 4309 (less the 904) making it 3400 for just an outdoor unit is a bit high even in Houston.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

The price of $3400 was for the outdoor unit alone. The $907 I have already paid would be credited toward that price. So my remaining payment would be $3400 minus $907.

The evaporator coil would be another $2000 or so.

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
OK. Now when they say evaporator coil, are they referring to the complete air handler inside or just the coil? and will this be another R22 condensing unit and coil?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Spoke with the HVAC company. They offer an R22 American Standard 13 Seer 5-ton condensor for $3780. They offer either R22 or 410A coil, though I wonder now what choice there is since the only have the R22 condensor. I assume by "coil" they mean the complete air handler.

My last question - why would a company offer only an R22?

Expert:  Airheatman replied 1 year ago.
I strongly recommend you replace the coil and condenser together and go with the 410A system.The reason is the R22 is being phased out and costs are climbing for the R22.In 2020 production of R22 will stop completely.This means after just over 6 years from now,if you can even find any R22 it will cost over 200 bucks per pound.
What that means to you is after 6 years if you develop a leak in either indoor or outdoor ,there will most likely be no R22 to service the unit with and if you can find it, costs will be outrageous.
Honestly, if you are not prepared to replace both, my recommendation is just to get as much as you can out of the old system until it dies and then replace both.Like I said , originally I thought you were getting both indoor and out in the credit deal.
In answering your question about your unit having a new lease on life, no it does not have and you should be preparing for system replacement in next few years, but stress that if you are able, change both units at same time.
Airheatman, HVAC Technician
Experience: Furnace, A/C and heat pump specialist.