Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Connect fresh air damper to blower unit and bypass HW EIM

Where does the fresh air damper connect on the HVAC blower unit (Lennox Model CX34-38A-6F-3)?

I am trying to figure out how to bypass a Honeywell Equipment Interface Module THM5421C to allow me to install a different thermostat. The existing thermostat wires are connected red to 1, green to 2, white to 3 on the left side top there is a wire from a damper going to green to C on the left top and red to VNT 2 on the left bottom and there is a wire from the unit with white to W1 O/B, yellow to Y, green to G on the right top, and then blue to C and red to R. There is a jumper from R to RC and RH on the left top and a wire jumper from RH to VNT 1 on the left top to bottom.

The HVAC guy I just paid a $59 service call to look at wanted $600 to bypass!

Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I still need assistance if someone is willing to answer. I can add take pictures if needed.

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

could you please verify the furnace number? Found behind upper door in furnace

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Lennox Model CX34-38A-6F-3 is on the outside. I will have to look tonight if there is a different number inside.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
The numbr given is an ac coil number

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Ok. What does the furnace number look like?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Depends on brand.

If the furnace is also a Lennox it will like ressemble G40, G23, ML180...

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

It is a G40UH. I found the following wiring diagrams on the Lennox website.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

How many zones do you have? (thermostats)

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
2 but the fresh air damper and EIM (and new thermostat I'm trying to install) are all on one unit/ zone. Just really need to know where to move the wires from the damper to on the main unit to bypass the EIM.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Oh..so you just need to keep the dampers but move them to an auxillary set of contacts in the EIM?
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Right now everything goes through the EIM. I have a new thermostat that needs to bypass the EIM and I have all of the wiring and that part figured out. I need to the disconnect the fresh air damper from the EIM and connect it on the main unit - that is the part I'm not sure about.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Now I understand...is the damper 24v or 120v
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I don't know. How would I tell? It's buried under a bunch of insulation.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
At the damper will be a damper motor that opens and closes the blade damper.

May I ask - Is there a reason you are utilizing a mechanical damper instead of a fixed damper that does not require operation?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
The damper is already there. I was am trying to install a thermostat that I can automate but it needs to bypass the EIM.
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I understand and there is a way to do this from the furnace.

But I need to know what your intent is with the vent damper.

You see less than 50 % use a fresh air damper, and then 99% of those use a fixed nonmotorized damper.

So when I find one I ask about how you use the system. Does your damper simply open everytime you heat/cool or do you have a logic that measures humidity and amount of air.?

We can have the furnace open this damper during heat or cool cycles...or fan on. I just need to know how you intend to use it.

Then I can instruct on how to hook up.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I guess it really isn't a fresh air damper. I found my EIM install manual from the builder and attached a picture of the wiring diagram. It is wired like the top right "Typical hookup of non-powered ventilation". The bottom left shows the wiring for a fresh air damper and that is not what it is. I am really not sure what it is for, I sort of doubt it is for humidity control - we live in the south, very humid, usually trying to get humidity out. There is a humidity reading on the thermostat. If I knew which letter or wire from the furnace or thermostat drive the connection between VNT1 and VNT2 that would be the answer. The other side looks like it connects to "C". The damper and everything is under insulation, only a small brown wire going into the insulation.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
From what you describe....it is a 6" damper to the outside air which is closed when the unit is not heating or cooling. When it calls for heat or cool the damper rotates open and allows outdoor air to come into the system.

Most units do not have this auto feature and are just a manual damper set for open.

We can solve this easy enough ....do you want the outdoor air feature?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I can't really tell if it is closed when not heating or cooling (I would hope it works that way). Why would one need this external source of air into the return air at all? I guess you say most just have a manual damper that is open - doesn't that make the unit less efficient? (FYI - I have a second system that is totally separate for the upstairs that does not have this damper or duct to the outside).

Anyway, yes - please tell me how to connect it properly to the wiring connection on the G40UH.

Thanks.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Here is the final fix...

If you want the damper to open in heating season = take the 2 wires from damper and put on W and the other on C.

If you want it to open during cooling = put one wire to Y and one to C

If you want it to open anytime the furnace heats and cools (which it does currently)

Then you will need this sail switch.

You would run a wire from R to the sail switch...then the wire would go to the damper, and back to C

So lets say you run a red and white 2 strand wire...

red leaves R and goes to sail switch on 1 terminal. Red leaves sail switch from the 2nd terminal....and goes to damper motor Now white leaves damper motor and returns back to C.

You can do this for less than $70.

Whenever the blower in the furnace creates air flow, it will open the damper.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

What if I did one wire to G and one to C?

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Then the damper will only open in cooling and in fan on position.