Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

Hello - I am need a new HVAC unit. I currently have an Armstrong

Hello - I am need a new HVAC unit. I currently have an Armstrong Model #64HWC243A-2B.
The repairman wants to replace it with a Majic-Pak unit. Can you please tell me the difference?
Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction!

Armststrong as well as Magic-Pak are current subsidiaries of Lennox International. The Armstrong model you state is a gas heating/electric cooling thru-the-wall packaged heating/cooling unit. The Magic-Pak unit is also a thru-the-wall packaged heating/cooling unit. I would need a model number of the Magic-Pak unit to give you specific differences between the two. It sounds as if the technician is selling you a like for like system. This is probably due to installation considerations. Many times it is much better to replace a system that will install in the same manner the old one did. This is especially true of thru-the-wall units. Chances are the differences between your old model and the one the tech is selling you is just newer engineering and efficiency but there again I would need the newer unit model number to tell you if there are any major specific differences between the two. Please follow up here with additional question about this situation.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thank you so much for this information. I just want to confirm that the Armstrong model and the magic pac system are of "equal quality". I believe the Magic pac # XXXXX XXXXX HMC 243A. One company said they would replace my unit with an Armstrong unit for $6,200 and the other gave me a rate of 5,800 for the Majic pac. Again I appreciate your help. Patricia

Thank you for that new model number. I will have a look at the differences of the two and let you know what I find. Thanks, -Brian
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Brian - the model number may be one diget off. I will confirm this with the tech tomorrow if you don't mind waiting. I live in on the east coast so I don't know what the time difference is but I don't want to waste your time until I know that I have the exact number. I will email you again in the am, again, thank you so much for your help.

I live on the east coast as well and will be online tomorrow too. The number for the new unit doesn't quite work so I will be happy to wait until you can get the correct number. What I am seeing though is that Armstrong and Magic-Pak are identical although I will wait for the model number to confirm that. There are different features and SEERs that the units are sold with so these types of things can make a difference in price. Have a good evening and we will pick this back up tomorrow. Thanks, -Brian