Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.
67988511

Temperatures have been nearly 90-100 for the last week. We

Temperatures have been nearly 90-100 for the last week. We have a 2 story wood frame, brick house and have been running the air conditioning at 72, because we have guests here. Suddenly when I got up at 3 AM, I find the carpet wet in the open stairway and throughout the entrance area downstairs. Living room and dining room, separate, is not wet. What is causing this.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.
Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction! It is not uncommon for the drain on an air handler or A-Coil over a furnace to get clogged and overflow out of the unit into the space. If your air handling unit is close to the area where the floors got wet I would suspect that could be the problem. If it is only a clogged drain, the quickest and simplest way to fix this is to use a wet vac on the drain line where it exits the house. Please follow up if you have questions about this problem or my recommendation.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the coils are in the basement..this is a 2 story house. Think its a condensation problem but have not had this ever before and don't know how to solve the problem. the moisture is on the first floor and up the open stairway to the second floor.

That is a strange occurrence indeed then. I would suspect too much humidity intrusion causing condensation to occur. You should make sure the house is a tight as possible. It is odd that the carpet would be wet though. Is there an a/c register above the wet carpet that is dripping down on it? A/C registers will sweat and drip when the humidity in the house is high. I would look carefully at your plumbing as well. There could be a small leak in a pipe that is traveling.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

no plumbing leak, plumbing is not even close and no register for anything to drip off... it is wet all over.

My only other thought is that maybe there is some leaking ductwork where it runs under that area of the floor. If the duct work runs between floor joists and is leaking that could cause condensation.
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

ok service I guess. Didn't get any info that helped the problem. Couldn't seem to get the point across. You did answer quickly. Nothing solved.