Billy
Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics
12672042

Removed a honeywell thermostat TH3210D but did not label the

Removed a honeywell thermostat TH3210D but did not label the wires. I have 6 wires; Green, Red, White, Yellow, Blue, Orange. Could use a little help here
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

I can tell you where they were supposed go...but some folks dont follow the color code when installing.

Should have been:

red to r
blue to c
orange to o
green to g
white to aux
yellow to y

Keep in mind that is how it is supposed to be.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the connections on the thermostat are as follows for conventional; Y2, W2, G, W Y, R and RC. For heat pump; L, AUX, G, O/B, Y, R and RC

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
I assume you have a heat pump if you used all 6.

L= empty
Aux= white
O/B = orange
Y= yellow
R and Rc= red
G= green

If no C terminal tape off blue and tuck away.

Make sure to set for heat pump in menu

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

THe old thermostat had a "C" connector but was not used and it says it is optional with batteries, new one has no "C" connector but uses batteries

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Thank you,

Then is it possible the blue wire was not used previously?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

At this point anything is possible, LOL. Didnt pay too much attention, just started taking it apart.

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.

Ok,

well blue is the primary wire for C.

In this case wire as instructed omitting blue. If you have any operational issues just return back here for follow up.

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I have a jumper btw the r and rc, does it matter which one I put the red wire into. I am assuming I leave the jumper in and power either side by inserting the red wire

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
correct. either one gets the red supply as long as jumper in place

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Unit turns on but is blowing warm air.. Outside unit is also on. The air coming out of the vents smells like when you first turn on the heat after not using it all summer

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Did you program for heat pump?

What is brand name of outdoor unit?

Billy

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Carrier inoor and out and how the heck do I program for heat pump? Thermostat says "cool on"

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Do you know how to get into menu function to set for heat pump?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Got it figured out, after calling Honeywell and speaking to someone in India

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
does it work now?

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Seems to be cooling, it has gone from 84 to 82 inside in about 15 minutes or so. Dam A/C guys came out the other day and wanted to charge me almost 700 to clean the evap coils. Same group I have been fighting with since 2006 because when I turn on my oven the house gets up to over 80 degrees and the a/c cant keep up

Expert:  Billy replied 1 year ago.
Wow, sounds like you have been through the wringer.

Hope things work out for you now.

If you have a issue just let me know.

Billy

Billy, HVAC Technician
Experience: Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics