Rick Mather
Rick Mather, HVAC Technician
Experience:  35 years experience, HVAC

Outside AC condenser turns off on its own. Didnt have this

Outside AC condenser turns off on its own. Didnt have this issue until circuit board was upgraded. 3 1/2 ton unit wired with a 6 gauge aluminum and 50 amp breaker. Breaker doesnt trip but gets hot to the touch. Of course when HVAC specialist was called out the condenser didnt turn off. HVAC specialist stated it may be due to the unit is rated for a 30 amp breaker.

Rick Mather :

Is the breaker rated HVACR? What is the amperage draw on unit when running?

Rick Mather :

Check the rating plate on the outside unit for breaker rating and correct size

Customer: The 50amp breaker is square D, HACR type. Amperage draw stayed around 16 for a good twenty minutes.
Rick Mather :

Well it should stay running if refrigerant charge is ok the amperage seems normal how about some other data like whats the superheat and or subcool against charging charts

Customer: Replaced circuit breaker. It's been running for the last two hours and the circuit isn't getting hold. So it looks like it was a Bad circuitbreaker. I need to remind myself to think simple.
Rick Mather :

Well lets hope that was problem good luck hope you stay cool