BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

Hello, Ive got a 5 yr old Ducane central A/C unit that isnt

Hello, I've got a 5 yr old Ducane central A/C unit that isn't blowing cold air. The fan is blowing on the outside unit and the internal furnace duct fan is working as well. The air coming from the vents is cool but not cold. Yesterday the suction line was freezing and there was a lot of water coming from the drain hose and bottom of the duct, near the filter. I allowed the line and coils to thaw for 24hrs. Now the suction line is cool to the touch, not cold or with condensation on it. The A/C unit is maintaining an indoor temp of 84 degrees. I installed a new filter as well, even tried running it without one for a bit. Should I call a tech to check for low refrigerant?

with the unit running can you tell me the room temp and the temp of air coming from register?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The room temp is currently 84 and the register temp is only slightly cooler. The house hasn't cooled past 84 for the last few hours.

The reason I ask:

If a system is operating properly with the correct amount of refrigerant you will have a register temp of at least 15 degrees cooler than the room.

If you do not have 15 degree difference then we have an issue.
"IF".....the filter is clean
the outdoor coil is clean
indoor coil is clean
blower is working as it should......and there is not 15 degree difference then you are likely low on refrigerant.

The freeze up is another clue as to being low on refrigerant.

Your thoughts are correct and you will need a tech to check the refrigerant level.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That sounds right. I'm going to clean the outside coils tonight, but is there a way to clean the inside coils without removing them? I can open the duct slightly to get a hand in there, but there isn't much room. I wouldn't think the inside coils would be bad after only 5 years in a new home.

The indoor coils are likely ok being 5 yrs old and if filters were maintained.

The indoor coils are harder to access depending on installation.

Not to sound rude....but usually the indoor coil is only dirty if there is a presence of pets or lack of housekeeping.

If the environment is average and filters have been changed it will not be a factor.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

That makes me feel better. I'll clean the outside coils tonight and if that doesn't help, I'll call a tech for a refrigerant service.

If you have any questions at all please return for follow up.

I really wish you well and hope all goes affordably.