Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial

Hi - we live in a basement and its very humid in the summer.

Customer Question

Hi - we live in a basement and it's very humid in the summer. I purchased a dehumidifier but find that it emits a lot of heat. Is there any other way to reduce the humidity and keep it cool other than an air conditioner?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Airheatman replied 3 years ago.

Hello.My name is XXXXX XXXXX I will do my best to help.Troubleshooting often requires meters and test equipment.Let's get started and see what we can do!

I am suspecting that the dehumidifier you have is portable. Is that correct? If so, you might consider looking into what is called a "whole house dehumidifier" .This actually connects to the hvac system is very effective without producing sensible heat in the building.Here is an excellent link ;

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Yes - we live in an apartment - so the whole house dehumidifier isn't really an option

You can install a couple of regular bath fans or a wall vent if you don't have them, but keep in mind that as we remove conditioned air ,the ac will have to work harder to keep the apartment cool.
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I don't have an air conditioner - and since I live in an apartment I can't install any internal hvac items - it has to be something portable

Sorry I misunderstood about you having an air conditioner. I though you had air conditioning, just trying not to have to run it so much to remove the humidity. My suggestion if owner will allow is going to be to install a portable ac unit(although I know that is what you asked about avoiding). The reason is that there are 2 concerns with comfort in summer. One being humidity and the other being the actual sensible and latent heat. The ac is designed to remove both heat and humidity whereas the dehumidifier is designed only to remove moisture but as you have discovered, adds heat , therefore defeating the purpose. dehumidifiers designed to be used in conjunction with and ac unit.Hope this makes sense.