Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

I tested my ray pac 1102-2 heating element last fall it was

I tested my ray pac 1102-2 heating element last fall it was bad. I took out the element, and so I did not want to loose any of the screws I put all four wires back on the block under the heating element. I just went to put new one in and I do not remember if the element wires go on the top of the block or the bottom?
Welcome to Just Answer!.

Can you send me a picture of the terminal block, and if its not too difficult a picture of the wiring diagram glued to the back of the service panel of the unit.

You can use the paper clip link, or photo sharing web site and send me the URL address for the pictures.

We can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

It won't let me send the pictures.
It keeps saying I don't have access.

Hello again, we are apparently having problems with our paper clip link again.

You should be able to send those photos to a photo sharing web site, then send me the link.

http://www.flickr.com/

That one works well.

Phil
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

I uploaded 4 pictures on that flickr under the name colby12946

Hello again, I cant get to the pics in that fashion

Log onto your pictures, then highlight and copy the entire address bar at the very top of you screen... and paste it here,

That way I can click on it and it will take me straight to your pics.
Meantime I will try searching flickr for colby 12946

Phil
Hello again, thanks for the pictures.

What i see in the picture is the mounting plate of the new heating element, with the 4 bolts that hold it in place, and the control relay to the left of it.

Tell me please if those 4 bolts are the ones you had to remove to get the old heating element out.

In that case the two loose wires shown connect to the relay..... top two wires, black and red most likely...but we need to test that.

Using a volt meter check voltage between black and red on the relay with the thermostat on the water heater set to ON and up high.... then check for voltage across black and red. You should get 240 volts if the heater is rated at 240 volts.

Then turn the thermostat OFF... the voltage across the top two red and black wires should drop to zero.

Let me know what you get, We can go from there. If you choose to rate my advice *positively I will hold the question open for any needed elaboration later.

Phil