Drcool
Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience:  i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package
11923974

I am looking at purchasing a large walk in freezer size 30

I am looking at purchasing a large walk in freezer size 30 x 80 feet and need advice on a unit i have found. It's a great deal but I want to make sure the compressors, condensors will maintain 10 degree Farenheit
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Drcool replied 1 year ago.

Drcool :

Hello, What do you want to know?

Drcool :

You can reply on the lower box so we can communicate.

Customer:

hello?

Customer:

you there?

Drcool :

Yes..Hello, how are you today?...

Customer:

great thanks

Customer:

you know much about walk in freezers?

Drcool :

I work on them...

Drcool :

I design some...

Customer:

I need to make sure it will hold at 10 degrees Farenheit

Customer:

it has floor, evaps, condensor, etc

Drcool :

Ok. That would be an "as is where is " buying type?

Customer:

yes correct

Customer:

i have the pdf file for the scroll compressors

Customer:

they say it was pulled as a working unit

Customer:

and all is in excellent condition. The pics of the condensors look like they are in excellent shape

Drcool :

Ok. To answer your question, yes it would go and maintain 10F provided it is in good shape, meaning if it is design to work as a freezer, it should go down even below 10F...But it says there it is a "cooler/freezer" so make sure it is really a freezer and not just a cooler.

Drcool :

If it was pulled out already, there there is no way to test it if it would go to 10 F unless it is hooked back up again.

Drcool :

I thought you would buy it while it is still running, then you can test it if it would pull 10F.

Customer:

well, i just wanted to make sure the compressors were capable of pulling down to 10F

Customer:

I can always replace them if I had to.

Customer:

$10k for this size unit with floor and doors is a great deal

Drcool :

Since this is a great deal, that includes the risk of buying a unit with a bad compressor. That is usually the problem where the owner would just sell the unit rather than buying a new compressor.

Customer:

can I send you the pdf file and have you look at the compressor information to make sure it will handle 10 degrees??

Drcool :

To tets the compressor alone, if you can ask the seller if you can test the compression of the compressor as well as if it has a leak back.

Drcool :

I could only find out if the compressor is design for low temp.

Drcool :

send the file please...

Customer:

the information is on page 40 - 43, it's the model ZBD45KCE-TFD

Customer:

ok

Customer:

one moment

Drcool :

It is a freezer compressor. it could go down suction temperature to -30C.... I would just suggest that you change the oil before using the compressor again.

Customer:

Attachment: 2013-07-01_123001_compressor_info.pdf

were you able to get the pdf file??

Drcool :

yes,,downloading now

Customer:

ok, also, what state are you located in?

Drcool :

I am outside the states...I am in the Philippines...

Customer:

ahhh, ok

Drcool :

Your pdf files states that ZBD is for medium temp where as a ZFD is the one design for low temp...So now I would think twice of using the ZBD compressor. both compressor are digital scroll type...

Drcool :

ZBD can be used from 5F to 10.5 F...meaning 10 F would be its lowest operating temperature so you do not have any more slacks when ever you wouild have extreme heat during the summer season...

Drcool :

Where as ZFD compressor would work on 13F to 18 F easily....

Customer:

so the ZBD is medium temp and the ZFD is low temp?

Customer:

and it would be a struggle for the ZBD to hold 10 F ??

Customer:

is that correct?

Drcool :

yes...

Customer:

we would have a lot of traffic in and out of this freezer

Customer:

So I assume 10F would be impossible to maintain

Drcool :

specially during hot season....

Customer:

ok, if i bought this unit, would i have to change just the compressors or the entire condensor/compressor & evap units

Customer:

?

Drcool :

I would say just the compressor but with the same cooling capacity. Just like on your model number...45KCE...then I would assume that the same capacity for a ZFD would be a ZFD45KCE...

Customer:

do you think this is a good deal for the box and units?

Drcool :

How much would a brand new unit cost?

Drcool :

By the way..the nominal Horse power of the ZBD45KCE is 6 HP and I just found out on the ZFD..it is ZFD18KVE which is the 6 hP nominal... That would be the basis for the size of the condensing unit as well as the evaporator units...

Customer:

well, the box alone new would cost about $50,000

Customer:

I just don't like buying things 'unseen'

Drcool :

well, that is really a great deal. Even if you replace the compressor, I am sure you will not spend another 5,000 for it. so if you would buy the whole unit, you would probably spend 70,000 dollars...

Drcool :

Talk to contractor in your area that could install the unit for you so that he would be the one to maintain it as well.

Customer:

okay, last question, would this unit be able to keep the temps down to 10f on the large box??

Customer:

it's a 22hp low temp unit

Drcool :

This is too much...It is rated 22 HP where as your evaporator unit is only 6 Hp rated...So it would be too big for your evaporator...plus you would spend triple the amount of electricity running this condensing unit trying to cool a small 6HP evaporator...they are not match....

Customer:

But remember, the current freezer uses 2 - 6hp units

Customer:

So if I found a 12hp single unit, it could run the 4 evaporators?

Customer:

Or must i replace with 2 - 6 hp units?

Drcool :

Ok...You did not mention that...so the big box is rated 12 HP..because it is using two 6HP compressors....still you would have a 10 HP difference...I would say get two 6 HP compressors...they configure it that way so you can save electricity...it could be configured to run from 1 hp to 12 hp anytime...that is why they are digital scroll compressors....

Customer:

ok, great, so i must always make sure the evaps are properly sized to the horsepower

Drcool :

if there is a small demand, it would only run one compressor until the demand reaches 50 percent of the capacity.

Drcool :

Yes...

Customer:

ok, thanks a lot. You have been very helpful

Drcool :

You are very much welcome...

Drcool, HVAC Technician
Experience: i have been an A/C tech for the past 12 Years. working on window types, split type, and package