Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Moved into a house in San Antonio 1.5 months ago. Build in

Customer Question

Moved into a house in San Antonio 1.5 months ago. Build in 1999 I assume the Trane Integrated Comfort System is same age. 3 outdoor units, main thermostat in Master's. 4 zones are programmed. All zones are fine except Zone 1 (Masters) that stopped cooling this AM. Set at 77 cool but stay at 82-81. Was 107 today outside! I looked at older post and did a reset (exit&outdoor temp pushed at once, wait for 12h, pick zone, on cool pick temp, exit) did not work :(. I know nobody will be available tomorrow Sunday... Please some temporary solution would be appreciated! Thank you kindly! Anne
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome. to Just Answer!

The temporary solution is to locate the ductwork in the attic or under the house depending on where the cold air supply registers are... then find the run of duct that feeds the master bedroom area.... and manually open the damper in that duct.... you may have to remove the damper motor to do it... some of the damper motors have a manual open lever on them.

Let me know how that goes. I will be here sunday all day.

I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up. Please be patient though. The research & typing take time.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Thanks Phil! I will do that first thing tomorrow
Morning... Will sleep with door open to get cool
From hallway :)
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Great, let me know how it goes. I am on line all day tomorrow with a few gaps for lunch, and chores etc.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Hi! I am in the attic. I found 2 large units with system controller boxes on them. Lots of duct work... Not sure where dampers are...
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, the dampers are mounted physically on and inside of the ducts.

To find the damper that serves your master bedroom, locate the air register ... then follow the duct that feeds that register back until it runs into the damper.

It is as simple as that.... it will be somewhat hidden by the duct insulation in many cases.

Ignore any wiring and controllers mounted on the walls etc.. those control the dampers but do not allow you to manually bypass a defective damper.

It will be easiest for you to search Google Images..with the key words 'zone dampers'... you will get many pictures of various types.

We keep going without any time limit. As long as you rate my help positively I will hold this question open for you.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Can the damper shut itself off? I got the air flowing again by playing with the thermostat. I don't have the manual for anything in this house... Last night the temp read was right and it was not blowing air. Now the temp reads about 7 degrees less than reality...
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

You have proven that the damper motor works and that the problem is in the damper controls... the zone controls are sold by a wide range of different manufacturers, there is no telling what you have... these are complex systems... about 1 HVAC technician in 10 is up to diagnosing the problem in the field.

The problem can be anything from a simple loose wire connection to a failing printed circuit board or stuck relay.

If you can tell me which direction you are from the center of the nearest city I can look for a company with good references on that type of repair...or you can search your local area for an established HVAC company that advertises 'zone control systems' and repairs and checks will with the Better Business Bureau.

We can go from there, if you rate my assistance so far positively, I will hold the question open for you with no time limit so I can coach you beyond the range of 'Just an Answer'

Thanks!
Phil

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
Zip 78248 about 15 miles north of downtown San Antonio
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again

Call this man listed below, ask him if he works on multi zone AC systems and tell him you have a zone that is working intermittently and get an estimated on repairs.

18847 Redland Rd, San Antonio, TX
(210) 494-6946 · campbellac.net
"I called Campbell AC after looking on line for a small ac company to ..." -

_____________

This appears to be the biggest outfit within 5 miles. with a lot of reviews... but some
what mixed.

4703 Shavano Oak #104, San Antonio, Texas
(210) 699-0022 · championac.com
26 42 reviews ·
maintenance agreement · service company · air conditioning company · energy efficient · conditioning contractors
"You can call them w/a problem. Tech will misdiagnose, unit will break, ..." -

You might want to give them a call and see what they say.

Phil

Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will wait until tomorrow and let you know how it goes. Thanks!
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
You are welcome, thanks for the excellent rating. Stay in touch as necessary.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.
I will!
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
.