Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30+ years.
67988511

I have a trane xv80 hvac, heater works geat but the ac only

I have a trane xv80 hvac, heater works geat but the ac only blows warm air, any ideas there is not outside unit to this one

Brian HVAC Guy :

Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction! Are you receiving my chat message today?

Customer:

yes

Brian HVAC Guy :

I am a bit confused by your statement that "there is no outside unit to this one" Does your furnace have an air conditioning coil attached to it?

Customer:

not sure, its sealed up tight, cant find an outside unit, but our thermostat has cool and heat settings,

Brian HVAC Guy :

In addition to your XV80 furnace there would have to be an ac evaporator coil accessory attached to the furnace and an interconnecting outdoor ac condensing unit in order for you to have air conditioning. A thermostat can be used for heating only even if it has setting for air conditioning.

Customer:

it has two thermostasts one up stairs and one down, the one down stairs blows a little cold air, the upper just warm air,

Brian HVAC Guy :

So you only have one outside unit (ac condenser)?

Customer:

no i cant find one outside,

Brian HVAC Guy :

I am assuming this is a new residence for you, is that correct?

Brian HVAC Guy :

a/c condensers can also be located on the roof as well. Is this a single family home or a condo or townhouse?

Customer:

yea, we are renting its a single family home,

Customer:

so it can be on the roof?

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok, well if you can locate your furnaces you can determine if you have a/c on them by seeing if the furnace(s) have a separate sheet metal casing with copper and pvc lines attached to it. That would indicate that the systems should have a matching unit outside somewhere for air conditioning. You could also look in the breaker panel for breakers labeled a/c unit or such. If the roof on the home is a flat roof it is possible the a/c units are up there if they exist otherwise they should be on the ground somewhere on the side of the home.

Customer:

well its not on the roof, could it be a heater and ac in one unit? or does it need a seperate condenser to have ac, im begining to think we dont have ac on this one,

Brian HVAC Guy :

With that model of furnace it would need a separate condenser. There is no type of package unit (all in one a/c) that would also attach to the furnace. In order to have a/c there must be an outside unit of some sort to get rid of the heat removed from the home. It does appear that your furnaces may indeed be heating only even though the thermostats are heating/cooling thermostats.

Customer:

ok, that solves that problem, they told us it had ac when we moved in, and being winter time you dont really want to turn it on, lol thanks for your help.

Brian HVAC Guy :

You are welcome. I think I would call the homeowner back and see if they can give more info as to what they are referring to as a/c. Good luck!