Brian HVAC Guy
Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience:  I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.
67988511

I have a carrier 58PAV090-16. Run component test inducer starts

Customer Question

I have a carrier 58PAV090-16. Run component test inducer starts briefly, heating element heats up (furnace does not ignite-not sure if that should happen in test), blower comes on. When thermostat is set to heat, l.e.d. gives code 31 (Pressure, Draft Safeguard, Aux Limit). Bypassing pressure switch (manually connect orange and yellow leads, sends furnace into fire-up mode. element ignites gas but flames go straight up instead of into furnace.
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Brian HVAC Guy replied 1 year ago.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Hi, I'm Brian. I'm here to answer your HVAC question to your complete satisfaction! Are you receiving my chat message today?

Customer:

yes

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok great. By your explanation and the symptoms it appears there is an issue with the inducer draft motor/blower. Since the unit is detecting a fault sensed by the air pressure switch and the flames are not being sucked into the burner/heat exchanger.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Things to look at are making sure the inducer motor is running, that the flue is clear all the way outside and isn't full of water and that the blower wheel on the inducer is actually spinning.

Customer:

Guessing I should be looking to replace the inducer motor? What should I expect for installation charges, and would there be any other components that need replacing with it.

Customer:

whoops just saw the seconf half.

Customer:

okay, lets work backwards here. blower wheel on the inducer. (outside black wheel?).

Brian HVAC Guy :

You can't see the blower wheel on the inducer blower assy without removing the motor. They are typically a 4"X2" or so plastic wheel and are usually white or off white.

Customer:

my guess is the blower isnt moving... how hard is this to replace or more importantly get parts for

Brian HVAC Guy :

They are usually not difficult to replace. Availability depends on how new the model of furnace is. Brand new models may not have parts available except through HVAC parts wholesalers. I can do some research on that model and see if I can find one online though.

Customer:

Yea, this is from 1994 or so

Brian HVAC Guy :

That should be available online for sure. Would it be ok if I save and close our session for 15 mins or so and I will see what I can find for you?

Customer:

Sure, do i just leave the page open?

Brian HVAC Guy :

Yes, you can leave it open and that's fine but I am limited to locking the question every five minutes if I leave it open on my end. It makes research a little difficult :)

Customer:

Okay!

Brian HVAC Guy :

I'll be back soon with some answers for you.

Customer:

Thanks

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ok I have found an inducer kit for your furnace and some manuals as well.

Brian HVAC Guy :

Here is the kit for your inducer that has all you need including the motor and wheel

http://shortyshvac.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&products_id=38

Customer:

great..thanks

Brian HVAC Guy :

If you look in the service manual it gives instructions to remove the inducer motor as a part of the heat exchanger cleaning procedure.

Customer:

sorry took a minute to get those to open...got it. Thanks. Is there any possibility the problem could be with the draft safeguard or pressure switch? And if so should i replace those at the same time?

Customer:

Is there a way to test the inducer motor by hotwire

Brian HVAC Guy :

It's also a good idea to take off the tubing on the pressure switch and make sure there is no gunk or dust build up in them and spray them out with canned air.

Customer:

actually did that before...forgot to mention it. tubing was good. thats why i bypassed it and jumped the orange from the draft safeguard to the yellow on the motherboard

Brian HVAC Guy :

Ah well you are way ahead of me then! :)

Customer:

:)

Brian HVAC Guy :

Yeah it definitely sounds like the motor to me but you should try to ensure the inducer motor is getting power when the system is calling for heat. That will confirm it.

Brian HVAC Guy :

If the inducer motor is NOT getting power when calling for heat then the control board relay (hence the control board itself) is bad.

Customer:

Ah let me see

Customer:

i would need a voltage meter to do that (I'm guessing). Here is a thought. when i jumper the test pin to the com24 port the black wheel outside the inducer spins for about 2 secs then stops. When I call for heat zip!

Customer:

If I bypass the pressure switch there is no movement from the wheel either.

Customer:

I do recall in the past i sensed there was a short on the board and if i jiggled the wires it often engaged. perhaps the board is bad as well

Brian HVAC Guy :

Yep that pretty much confirms the inducer motor is shot. The pressure switch is only proof that the motor is running so I wouldn't help the motor to run. The motor is called for basically as soon as heat is called for. It is the first link in the chain and nothing else happens until the pressure switch proves there is induced draft.

Brian HVAC Guy :

It's possible that the board has an issue and yes it would take a volt meter to confirm that.

Customer:

Okay, is the same supplier likely to have a circuit board as well. Just in case :)

Brian HVAC Guy :

Yes they most likely will. If not then Pexsupply.com will have one

Customer:

Give them a try...thanks Brian.

Brian HVAC Guy :

You are most welcome! Good luck!

Customer:

Thanks...

Customer:

hows weather out east... thinking of hitting Ft. L in a few weeks

Brian HVAC Guy, HVAC Technician
Experience: I have been an HVAC/R mechanic/technician for 30 years.
Whoops sorry I had a computer glitch. I am in Maine and the weather is nice but very rainy this year. FL should be quite muggy and warm right now, in fact some of my friends down there are complaining about the stifling heat!
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Haha... profile showed you as FL....

Yeah I lived in FL for well over 40 years and was an HVAC contractor there for many years as well but couldn't stand the heat anymore so moved to my father's home state of Maine a couple years ago.

FYI: If you have any questions about this same inducer issue you can post them back here on this question for up to 30 days and I will be happy to help with no additional charge. Take care, -Brian