Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Hi! I bought an air conditioner – SUZ-KA35VA in 2008. For

Customer Question

Hi! I bought an air conditioner – SUZ-KA35VA in 2008. For heating it worked ok down to – 15 degree the first year, but the effect has dropped every year, and now it barely gives any heat at all. Only at plus 1 - 2 degrees is it capable to give any heat. The compressor has started to make more noise as well. The gas was replaced 3 or 4 years ago, and the level has been checked randomly during the last five years.

Isn’t obvious that there has been a faulty on the air conditioner from the beginning? Or is it possible to find the source of why the compressor now is defect?
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Gina-Moderator replied 1 year ago.

I'm Gina, and I’m a moderator for this topic.

We have been working with the professionals to try to help you with your question. Sometimes it may take a bit of time to find the right fit.

I was checking to see if you had already found your answer or if you still needing assistance from one of the professionals.

Please let me know if you wish to continue waiting or if you would like for us to close your question.

Also remember that JustAnswer has a multitude of categories to help you with all your needs from Health, Pets, Computers, Cars, Finance, Law, to Home Improvement, and more.

Thank you,

Gina-Moderator

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Gina

I’ll wait

André

Hello Andre,

Thank you, XXXXX XXXXX continue to look for a professional to assist you. Please let me know if I can be of any further assistance while you wait.

Best,

Gina-Moderator

Expert:  Michelle-Mod replied 1 year ago.
Hello again,

We are still working with our professionals’ to find you the best possible match. But I wanted to touch base to see if you were still needing our professional's assistance.

Please let me know if you would like to continue to wait or if you would like to cancel your question at this time. We sincerely XXXXX XXXXX the extended wait time.

Thank you,

Michelle~Moderator
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

I've got time to wait!

Greetings

André

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to just Answer!

. I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up. Please be patient though. The research & typing take time.

Any reasonably well trained service man can diagnose a compressor that runs, but does not perform by putting his service gages on the system and noticing the 'head' and 'suction' pressures the system operates at... and at the same time taking the temperature of each pipe on the systems reversing valve piping.

The problem is either bad valves in the compressor (lack of compression)... or a leaking reversing valve.

If the system works well in cooling mode... but not heating mode, then the problem is in the reversing valves...leaking ports inside the valve involved.

Let me know if that is the case on your end or not, we can go from there until we figure this out. As long as you keep rating my answers positively I will hold the question open for you without any time limit.

Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Thanks Phill!

How can I give a positive rating without closing the question?

The cooling side seems to be the same. It works but low effect, and of course same loud noise from the compressor. I believe we are down to bad valves.

The hard part for me is that I have to prove that there was a faulty on the conditioner (compressor) from the beginning. The five years warranty ended 2 months before the last step of reduced effect. I know the compressor had a problem from the beginning since it started losing effect the first year.

Is it possible to prove that there has been a faulty from the start? And if so, how can that be proved?

André

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Andre.

it sounds like it is indeed a bad compressor. The company has no legal obligation of course to honor your warranty since it is out of date.

However if you can show any service call receipts that mention possible compressor problems they might choose to honor the warranty... you would have to get past the first line secretaries and low level managers in order to get the warranty honored.... you do that by explaining very gently to the first line staff that this situation is an exception and a manager might be able to help... you keep pressing that and bothering them until someone says they will honor the warranty past the 5 year limit.

I will put the ratings box up now, and hold the question open after you rate my assistance so that you can follow up with more coaching as needed.

Thanks!

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Phil

I am beyond that point…

I only need to know if the reason for the degradation reflects the lack of effect from the beginning and until now.

I mean, is it likely that the compressor had a faulty from the beginning, based on the information I have given?

André

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Phil

I am beyond that point…

André

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Andre... a compressor that fails in this fashion is generally due to a defect in that compressor.. 50% chance of that.... or dirt, sand, or water introduced into the system piping during installation... 50% chance of that.

Only cutting the compressor open and examining it closely under a microscope in some cases can determine the exact cause of failure.

There are 'acid test kits' on the market, available from refrigeration and air conditioning parts houses for $10 or so.... if the test shows the system is *acidic inside, then contamination during the installation could be a cause.

Such contamination however generally results in the compressor motor burning out, not in mechanical failure with the compressor running but not providing proper compression.

My personal opinion based on your reports is that the compressor was defective from the start and then eventually failed... but without destructive examination that is only an educated guess.

Stay in touch as long as you need to. Thanks for the positive rating.

Phil
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Andre.... is there a reason for the bad service rating? Let me know I would like to do whatever I can to get you the answer you need.

If you do not want to pay for my advices so far, that is ok, sometimes there is no satisfactory answer... but you do not have to rate negatively to accomplish that, you can simply ask for a refund at any time, even months later and get a refund.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Hello Phil

First I gave you a positive rating on your second answer as well. But then the question was closed, and I was asked to pay more to continue. I wasn’t done with my question, so I had to change my rating from positive to negative… That was the only reason.

Please let me know if there is anything I can do to change it back to a positive rating.

André

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again Andre... I appreciate your consideration.

This note you just wrote will work to get the bad rating reversed,

I will submit it to the management as a web site caused problem, not a problem with my answers. Your explanation lets me know whats going on well. Thats useful on my end.

I will submit this note to management now, and hopefully you will be able to continue with me until you get the full and complete answer you need for the single deposit you offered..

Your persistence on this will help and will be much appreciated.

Thanks!

Phil