BillyHvac, Journeyman HVAC Tech
Experience:  Endorsed for unlimited heating, cooling, oil burners, boilers, refrigeration, hydronics

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 hvac system in a one

I have an American Standard Freedom 80 hvac system in a one story ranch (approximately 2000 sq ft) that was built in 2005. Recently I've noticed that the house isn't being cooled to the temp set on the thermostat. I've also noticed that 1) there is very little air flow coming out of the registers; and 2) the pipe coming from (to?) the unit, and which is wrapped in foam pipe wrap has ice on it. I have replaced the filter in the main unit, although it didn't look particularly dirty, but that hasn't helped. What are your suggestions? Thanks.

This could be something easy...or it could get involved.

Was the filter plugged when you changed it?

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

not really; I could easily see through it although there did seem to be a coating of dust on the top side.

2 things can cause freeze up...which eventually chokes off the coil and does not allow air through.

1 is restricted air = dirty filter, bad blower, dirty ac coil (indoor).

2 is low on freon = freon has leaked out and unit is now low.

Turn ac to off and fan switch to on. This will melt the coil clear.

After an hour turn to ac aand try again.

If it freezes again you need to have the freon level checked.

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks; I'll try that and let you know.

I wish you well

Customer: replied 3 years ago.

Thanks very much! So far, so good. The air flow is much better and the icing on the inflow pipe is gone. I've switched on the a/c and will monitor the temp. Since the filter wasn't really clogged, if it happens again I'll suspect low freon. That sounds much cheaper than a new a/c unit.