Bryan, Handyman
Experience:  HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
10522817

Im looking at a six to seven year old home, which we are thinking

I'm looking at a six to seven year old home, which we are thinking of buying. The heat pump looks as old as dirt....cannot read the model or serial number on the decal.

Is it possible for a 6 year old home to have a three ton Janitrol heat pump outside? A respected service person indicated that the brand stopped being produced 15 years ago.

Since the owner bought another home.....it's possible that he switched heat pumps before he moved. I'm a little leary.

Just looking for a different perspective, and a second opinion. Thanks.

bryanpaul52 :

It is possible that he replaced it with an older unit before putting the house on the market but more likley though is that he bought the unit used a while back and had it installed then. these units still have parts available on most if something does go on it but your probalbly better off replacing it . What I would do is try to get the owner to drop the price on the home as a condition of needing a new unit. Not all parts for all the models are still available. better to work a deal now then have to pay the whole cost of replacment later.

Customer:

Hello....

bryanpaul52 :

Hi

Customer:

Just reading your response.

bryanpaul52 :

okay

Customer:

Can I possibly tell by matching up the brand of the heat pump with the brand of the inside air handler?

Customer:

The inside air handler looks brand new. The house is in great shape. Only the outside heat pump looks old.

bryanpaul52 :

that may be possible. if you remove the access cover on the handler there may be a model number. Sear's carries part for a lot of these older units. heres a link. you may be able to cross reference a part number if you can find one on any of the parts. heres the link. http://parts.ch4.sears.com/partsdirect/getProductType.pd?parentCategory=Heating+%26+Cooling&productType=Air-conditioner-heat-pump-Parts&selectedBrand=Janitrol&sort=addedDate&dir=asc

Customer:

OK, thanks......I'll try that.

Customer:

I'll give you the top rating. Thanks, XXXXX XXXXX a great day!