mranswer, HVAC Mechanic
Experience:  20 years experience running my own business

This concerns a problem with aTrane HVAC unit that has been

This concerns a problem with aTrane HVAC unit that has been diagnosed with "dirty sock syndrome"
So, what exactly do you need answered here? Let me know what you already know, if anything, as it is redundant for you to reply to me that "I already knew all that".
Customer: replied 3 years ago.

The service technician that I have consulted diagnosed the problem as dirty sock syndrome. My AC when operating emits a strong musty odor that lingers for a while after the AC cuts off. So I am pretty sure that it is an AC problem. I am not so sure of his solution, which is to apply a "biocide" to the evaporator coils to kill the mold, etc. I would like to be sure that this solution will work before I give him $300 to do this.

Cleaning the coil will only offer temporary relief. What you need installed is an ultraviolet lamp which kills off the odor-causing bacteria as it stays on all the time. It is placed inside the ductwork so its light reaches the coil area and also kills the airborne particles as well. That is the only permanent solution to your problem. If you research dirty sock syndrome you will see plenty of articles supporting uv lamp installation.