Bryan, Handyman
Experience:  HVAC EPA Section 608 Type 1 license
10522817

GE GSS22IBTA not running whne plugged in , light inside on.

GE GSS22IBTA not running whne plugged in , light inside on. When plugged in, compressor or fan do not run.  compressor and fan runs when jumped on circuit board, but unit does not get cold inside. can take pictures of components and upload if necessary.  Pulled the circuit board, front and back look ok, no burnt components.

I have multimeter, soldering equipment, can do basic electrical and electronic repair, just need to know troubleshooting steps, thanks

bryanpaul52 :

is the the circuit board you jumped ? are you sure the compressor was running and not just the fans ?

Main Control Board WR55X10942 Main Product View
Full Size Image

Customer:

It looks very similiar, not in front of unit right now. Will look and upload picture when I get home. On the left side of the picture you sent there are 3 silver tabs. One is power in one is for compressor. When I jump from power to compressor, I hear the compressor kick on, and the fan blowing over the condensor coil runs. After a while the compressor gets real quiet, tough to hear if it is running, but I am pretty sure it is.

bryanpaul52 :

ok, when you get there let me know, I need you to remove the back panel inside the freezer behind you food and then start the comprssor , watch the coils for frost.

Customer:

Bryan,

bryanpaul52 :

yes I'm here

Customer:

Bryan, I am attaching 3 pictures one of the compressor, one of the circuit board, and one of the coils.

bryanpaul52 :

okay great !

Customer:

When I jumpered the circuit board, the compressor kicks on, as does the fan. the coils inside fridge get cold, and the fan int eh fridge turns on.

Customer:

Here is the important thing, when I disconnect the jumper, the compressor stays running, but if I unplug the unit and then plug it back in the compressor does not kick on until I jumper the board. When I umplug the unit I hear a relay drop out on the board.

bryanpaul52 :

Okay thats good. So the coils start frosting and do they frost all the way up (a light coating on all of them)

Customer:

circuit board
Full Size Image

Customer:

picture of board.

bryanpaul52 :

Okay that means the mother board needs replacing. theres are relays on the board that are not working.

Customer:

I had the unit running for approximately 5 minutes with the doors open, frost only part way up see pitcure:

Full Size Image

bryanpaul52 :

if the coils are frosting when the board is jumped the board is bad.

Customer:

sure its the mother nboard and not a signal not being inputted? For example, if the t stat or temp control dials are faulty, would they not send a signal for the circuit board to kick the compressor on? A new board is around $180, just want to make sure I am not throwing parts at it. thanks

bryanpaul52 :

no not in this model. its the mother board for sure, I've made that mistake in the past when these first came out and replaced the temp dial control. It didnt work so I had to replace the mother board and wham it started right up. they had issue's with these boards and had to redesign them. what they did was made a whole new board that fits different reftrigerators (thats why the board looks so different) it has extra relays for different functions on newer models also. trust me you need to replace it, now heres a link . ( I am including a link to the most trusted place to buy parts and they give you a 100% money back guaranty even if the part was installed.) click this blue link. http://www.repairclinic.com/PartDetail/Main-Control-Board/WR55X10942/1531075?modelNumber=GSS22IBTAWW?RCAID=1000065

Customer:

ok great, thanks for your help. I hope I don't have any more issues with this unit. I will let you know how I make out. Selecting the "excellent" rating now. Have a great day!!