Phil
Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience:  Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
23932409

Hello i need help...!My HVAC condenser motor went bad. I

Customer Question

Hello i need help...!
My HVAC condenser motor went bad. I bought a new replacement from Granger. The old GE motor has 3 wires, Black, Orange and blue. The new Dayton motor has 4 wires, Purple, Black, Gray and Gray w/white. How do these connect?
Thank you,
Joe
Category: HVAC
Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Welcome to Just Answer!.

I will stay with you until the situation resolves.
I hold questions open after positive ratings to allow for unlimited follow up.

On your old motor one of the wires went directly to the 'run capacitor'.. a metal can with wires attached. First step is identify that wire.

The next step is to identify the two wires on the new motor that go to a new capacitor that you should have purchased with it... $7.50 or so.

Those two wires will be marked on the motor going straight to the capacitor
the symbol for the capacitor is -----l(-----

it is probably the grey wire and the grey wire with a white stripe, but you need to verify that.

Then take the motor back to Grainger and ask them to sell you the run capacitor made for that motor.

Let me know what you find, as long as you keep rating my assistance positively, there is no time limit here...we keep going until you are up and running.

Thanks
Phil

Phil, Mechanical Engineer
Experience: Retired HVAC/ Electrical & Boiler contractor. Industrial
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

it wont let me reply

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

They sold me a dual capacitor when I bought the motor, It says to put the Brown and Brown w/white which I called the Gray and gray w/ white to the CAP.

Customer: replied 1 year ago.

Access Denied

You don't have permission to access "http://www.justanswer.com/hvac/7tm32-hello-need-help-my-hvac-condenser-motor-went-bad.html" on this server.

Reference #18.2ccb1160.1371517621.3d12f989

Im trying to upload pictures

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, the site is having problems right now.... give it a while and try again.

I did get your messages though... you cannot wire the fan motor and capacitor by the color coded wires... those are random colors and differ between brands. you have a dayton motor and a goodman AC... they can be made to work easily but not by trying ot match colors.

It is also possible to do a lot of damage with trial and error approachs.

__________

We need to proceed with the utmost caution.

Tell me how the new dual capacitor is marked... is the center terminal marked Comm, and the one terminal marked HERM, and the other terminal marked fan.

and do you have the two greys connected to 'fan' and 'common'... and from the common is there an additional wire going to the compressor contactor?

and from the HERM is there a wire going to the compressor?

Let me know. we can go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

do you have an email address I can send the pictures to?

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.
Hello again, the company does not allow direct email contact, it defeats the peer review quality control program.

You can post the pics to a photo sharing site such as Flicker...and send me the link.

You can also just tell me how the terminals on the capacitor are marked...it will be easy to go from there.

Phil
Customer: replied 1 year ago.

the new one does not have markings on the terminals

Expert:  Phil replied 1 year ago.

Hello again, you need a good multi meter with a 'micro Farad' setting on it, (uf)

then you can check between the center terminal and each of the outer terminals... the side for the fan will read 5 to 7 micro farads. and the other side will read about 5 times that for the compressor.

Or you can take the capacitor back to Graingers and ask them to help you identify the terminals.

You could very easily have it hooked up backwards without any markings on it...

How did they know which capacitor to sell you, did you take the old one in for a match up? however the old one may have had the wrong uF rating for the new fan motor.. I need to know what the UF ratings on the old capacitor were and what they are on the new one..those are printed on the side of the capacitor.

Let me know what you find, we can go from there.

Phil